Item BCA - 2018.1433 - High Street shops in late C19th and C20th

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

BCA - 2018.1433

Title

High Street shops in late C19th and C20th

Date(s)

  • late 19th first half 20th century (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

pdf of 20 pictures, 3 letters, explanation of pictures

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The New Inn in the High Street which was later renamed The Morris Clown in 1973; it started life as The George. Stevens the grocery shop became a shoe snob's shop and then a wet fish, fruit and vegetable shop before becoming a private dwelling when Paul Bovington died.
Bampton buildings. Robinsons butchers shop in the Market Square and to the right of it, the Bell Inn which became the WI Hall about 1923. It is now the site of the Village Hall.
T W Pembrey was Bampton's first and only department store. It comprised the building facing across Bushey Row (called New Inn Lane when this picture was taken), the thatched building now called Strawberry Cottage, the building next door and the next one which is just out of the camera shot. (The daughters grew up to run a school for ladies in the house called The Elms which is in Broad Street by the turn up to New Road.) When this picture was taken, which was probably right at the end of the 19th century, the Post Office was in the store. It moved from here to Wheelgate House in the High Street in 1918 where it stayed until 1972. All the buildings seen on the left are now private houses and the one across Bushey Row is (at 2014) Bampton Physiotherapy owned and run by Fiona Farmer.
Taken in 1946 this picture shows a view across the west side of the Town Hall and looking down into Bridge Street. There are petrol pumps at the Central Garage which sold Ferguson tractors at one time and farmer Mr Ogilvy from Calais farm used the pumps to fill up his tractor. Then the Talbot Inn, Thompsons grocers and Duttons. Across the road on the right of the picture is Constables bakery. The arches just visible on the west side of the Town Hall have been un-bricked (they were bricked up for a few decades) and the space in the Town Hall was used as a bus shelter.
Broad Street in the 1920s seen looking south to north. The canopy over the doorway of the building on the right in front of the two ladies was over the doorway into The Plough Inn.
A view along the High Street looking west from outside Lime Tree House. What today is called the Morris Clown was then called the New Inn. Shops that are on the right are in what today are No7 High Street, Lesta House and Strawberry Cottage. Two other interesting items show a very long pole ladder on the right and a thatched hay rick. The Tanner brothers who lived in Weald Street were skilled thatchers of ricks.
The High Street looking west from outside Lime Tree House. Wenman’s the bakers and Mrs Evans cottage are gone - they stood where the war memorial is today and at the time the memorial was erected the trees just visible against the end wall of the WI Hall were planted, No4 Town House is no longer thatched so this picture will have been taken soon after 1922. By the amount of horse manure on the road, there were very few cars and many more horses and one wonders if the photographer was capturing the rare sight of a car when taking this picture.
A view to the start of High Street from outside the entrance to Moonraker Lane. Wenman's the bakers and confectioners is on the left behind the wooden fencing. The thatched shop is now No4 Town House. On the righthand edge can be seen part of Wheelgate House which was owned by Alfie Bryant who rain a private boys' school there. The picture was taken in the 1880s probably by Henry Taunt. The Town Hall is on the left and the doors at the far end are closed on the fire appliance. On the extreme right the sign for the Talbot is seen and going away from it a lady stands outside the drapers and haberdashers shop. The porch over what today (2014 at time of writing this) is Bampton Coffee House) has yet to be built.
The New Inn renamed The Morris Clown in 1973 and Stephens the grocers. The picture was probably taken by Henry Taunt so must be before 1922. There is horse manure in the road and by the dog sleeping in the road there was very little in the way of horse-drawn traffic.
Exterior of Paul & Les Bovington's shop in the High Street, Les in the white coat and glasses. The gentleman with the white jacket, behind the RAF man was the publican from the New Inn who used to dash outside to get into any photograph he saw being taken.
The Talbot Inn seen in 1977. The decoration was for the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.
The Talbot Inn seen in 1977. The decoration was for the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. Also visible are the Horse Shoe, Box House and Rosemary Lane
This picture was taken either in the 1880s or 1890s. There are railings in front of the Talbot and all the building to Cheyne Lane other than Thompsons grocers. On the right can be seen Joyner the bakers and beyond it, where Mark's Kitchen is today (2014) is Viners the drapers. Hythe House is a red brick house between the Talbot and Thompsons.
Taken before 1920 this is a view looking east across the south side of the Market Square from outside the Talbot. The shop on the right says Drapers, Milliners and Outfitters. It became Central Garage and then Barclays Bank, followed by Abbey Properties, the Cotton Club and back to Abbey Properties.
Les (Leslie) Bovington on the right, co-owner of Bovington's Fish shop with his brother Paul, Bill Wagner in the centre who was the licensee of the New Inn (now the Morris Clown) who never missed a chance to be in a photograph, always dashing outside if he saw someone with a camera, and a USAF sergeant, all in Bovington's shop on the High Street which is now No11 and a private dwelling.
Mr Kent with a pony and trap outside his pub called the Malt Shovel in Lavender Square. He reared pigs and had a grocery outlet here where he sold bacon, ham, sausages, lard, homemade pickles, sweets and vinegar. David Niven was a frequent customer when visiting his friends who lived next door at Little Place.
Percy Hughes outside his butchers shop which was joined to the Lamb Inn. His shop faced into Cheapside. The thatched Cottage in Bell Lane is just visible on the left. Len Hughes, Percy's little son is with the tricycle on the left and when he became an adult Len bought the garage and shop in Cheapside which his son Jim ran with him when he was old enough and Les's wife ran the shop which sold knitting items and all items you'd expect to find in a newsagents - the shop is now a house called Exeter House, next to Cromwell House and the garage has been pulled down and a house built on the site which is behind Cromwell House and the petrol pumps which used to be in front of Cromwell house have also gone.
Robinson's butchers shop and the Bell Inn, now the Village Hall in the Market Square
Thompsons grocery shop, between the Talbot and Duttons was a high-class grocery shop. It became the Cotswold Grill about 1970 and just a few years later it became the Romany Inn
Broad Street looking north. The trees on the green, planted by George Gerring are very young so the picture was taken circa 1912. The canopied doorway on the right is to The Plough inn. Gas lights on the left of the road have only just been installed.
Broad Street looking north. The pub on the right is the Plough Inn. The trees on the left were donated by George Gerring in 1902; the parish council planted them. There had been a row of poplars which were cut down several years before and Broad Street was thought to look bare. There is what looks like a gypsy caravan on the grass. There are several adults and children giving an idea of the style of dress around 1904. The gas lights have yet to be installed along the grass bank on the left.
Broad Street c1904. The lime trees were a gift of George Gerring in 1902. The original entrance to Bampton Manor can be seen on the corner of Broad Street with Landells. Gas lighting has been newly installed and the Plough Inn can be seen on the right.
Broad Street looking north - the lime trees on the left are quite well grown after being planted about 1902 so the date of this picture is about 1914-1920. The Plough Inn is half way along on the right with a canopy over the door. The ladies feel quite safe walking down the middle of the road
The High Street looking west. The New Inn, now called the Morris Clown is on the left. Wenman's bakery and Mrs Evans Cottage are still on the site of the present-day war memorial and No4 Town House is still thatched. It is a very sharp picture and almost certainly taken by Henry Taunt about 1900. Bampton's only ever department store, T W Pembrey is on the right
This was taken about 1998 when the Market Square Garage had been raised to the ground to make way for Thornberry Flats. The office for the garaged moved to Rosemary Lane. A window of The Romany Inn is on the right. Until the flats were built, you could see the thatched Bell Cottage in Bell Lane, a lane known to all older lifetime Bampton residents as Back of The Bell.
The Jubilee Inn and Mrs Clark's shop seen from the east end of the Market Square. Circa 1940s
The New Inn seen from outside Lime Tree House in the High Street. It was taken before 1922 because the war memorial has not been erected and Wenman's the bakers and Mrs Evans cottage are still at the southern tip of the Market Square. The house now called No4 Town House, which was a shop has a tiled roof but it used to be thatched.
October 1st 1964 sale brochure for the Swan Inn in Buckland Road. It was sold as a private dwelling by Mrs Sollis, not a pub.
This was the Swan Inn in Buckland road when it was sold as a private dwelling October 1st 1964
October 1st 1964 sale brochure for the Swan Inn in Buckland Road. It was sold as a private dwelling by Mrs Sollis, not a pub. This page from the sales brochure shows the condition of sale
October 1st 1964 sale brochure for the Swan Inn in Buckland Road. It was sold as a private dwelling by Mrs Sollis, not a pub. This page from the sales brochure shows the general remarks and particulars of the building
October 1st 1964 sale brochure for the Swan Inn in Buckland Road. It was sold as a private dwelling by Mrs Sollis, not a pub. This page from the sales brochure shows particulars of the cottage with the inn and the 1/3 of an acre
The Talbot Inn seen in 1885. On the right edge are two shops, the nearer one is Joyners the bakers and the other one in Viners who sold clothing.
The Wheatsheaf in Bridge Street. It became the post office 1971-2010. Sign shows it offered carriage & stabling as well as ale. On the left by the car is a little shop which later became Emmies newsagent which closed in 2012. At the end of the visible road the thatched Elephant and Castle can be seen. There is a small shop going away from the Wheatsheaf which was a butchers.
Mr and Mrs Bunce outside the Swan which they owned in the first half of the 20th century. Mr & Mrs Sollis ran the inn after them until as a widow, Mrs Sollis sold it as a private dwelling.
Mrs Bunce and Emmie Papworth nee Bishop and her son Tom Papworth as a child (Granddaughter and great grandson).
Mrs Bunce and her granddaughter Emmie Papworth (nee Bishop) outside The Swan Inn in Buckland Road.
Harry and Emmie Sollis outside the Swan Inn 1963. Mrs. Sollis always dressed in a Victorian high-necked lace blouse. She had a prodigious memory for Bampton life. As a widow she sold the inn and shared a home with Mr Alec Townsend of Ash Tree farmhouse in Weald Street. Their daughter Rose married Arthur Gerring
Elephant and Castle garden. Dec.2003.
Elephant and Castle garden. Dec 2003. Work in progress for building two houses behind the pub.
Malt Shovel, Spring 2004
Beautiful autumn colour from the Virginia creeper on the front of the old Malt Shovel
Wisteria in full bloom on the front of the Malt Shovel in May 2009
Market Square with horse and cart outside Constable's bakery and the fire brigade, which kept their appliance in the Town Hall has got the hoses hung up to dry from the top of the Town Hall. Note railings and fencing in front of the Talbot and Hythe House and it continued in front of Thompsons the grocers next door, the property which is now the Romany Inn. There is a shop just visible behind and to the left of the Town Hall where a garage was built which was knocked down in 1998 and Thornberry flats built and the first one sold in 2001.
High Street looking east, showing the New Inn (now called the Morris Clown) and The Grange in the distance. Postmarked 1904. The grocery shop called Stephens later became Mr Clark the shoe snob's shop and after that Paul and Les Bovington ran their wet fish, fruit and vegetable shop here. Across the road in what is now No4 Town House, Mrs Clark ran a grocery shop.
High Street. Postcard postmarked 1909 showing the property that is now called Rosebank Care Home. Dr Oates lived in it at the beginning of 1900 and many years late, in the second half of the 20th century it became a nursing home which was called Oathurst.
Broad Street. Postcard postmarked August 1904. The trees on the left were given by George Gerring about 1908. The Plough Inn is on the right, half way along and there is a canopy over the step.
The Town Hall standing in the Market Square. There is a footpath on the right in front of the west side of the Market Square but no path around the Town Hall. In the centre of the picture is a drapers shop which is now Abbey Properties (2014) and there are railings in front of the Talbot and Hythe House next to it.
Roy Shergold and Adrian Dunbar in the Elephant & Castle pub.
Postcard of the Market Square, Bampton, date unknown but probably about 1940-50. Note the lorry with crates of soft drink, which would have been Tizer, Dandelion and Burdock, Lemonade and possibly Cherryade. Note also the 4 petrol pumps with Shell on the top outside the central garage which also sold Ferguson tractors, many of which would run on petrol. The Talbot is behind the lorry. On the right there is a grocery shop and next to it, going away is Barclays Bank.
The bridge and Elephant and Castle beyond seen from Mill Green. This is the bridge nearest the town centre and there is a gentle walk down, clearly seen from outside the wall to Castle View farmyard, to the water which cattle and horses could walk down to get to water. Carts could also be backed down for the water to swell the wood of their wheels and keep the joints tight.
HB Jones, general supply stores at the west side of Market Square. The inn sign for The Lamb is just visible on the right-hand edge. This pub was always referred to as The Tree by locals because of the large Ash tree which grew right outside. The Market Square was still a main thoroughfare and a white line can be seen running along the centre of the road outside what today (2014) is Thornberry Flats.
HB Jones general supply stores, George & Dragon Inn in the centre of the picture by the car and the Lamb in what is Cheapside. The Lamb Inn is behind the railings on the right; this pub was always referred to as The Tree by locals because of the large Ash tree which grew right outside. The Market Square was still a main thoroughfare and a white line can be seen running along the centre of the road outside what today (2014) is Thornberry Flats.
New Inn on the left of the picture to Stephens the grocery shop both on the south side of High Street around 1900. Stephens were bacon curers and also sold stout and probably a few other ales. The New Inn was originally called The George and in the early 1970s changed its name from The New Inn to The Morris Clown. It's interesting to see that one house has window boxes above their door and outside two-bedroom windows. The dog sleeping in the road indicates a scarcity of traffic and the horse droppings suggest that any traffic was horse drawn. The young lady on the bicycle is wearing a hat which was the norm for the time and indeed the lady in the shop doorway has a hat in her hand.
Photograph taken from outside Grange Cottage. The New Inn, Pembreys, beyond that a little shop which in the mid-20th century was Mrs Clark's grocery shop and a thatched hay rick can be seen. Thatching ricks was the skilled job of a journeyman and in Bampton done by the Tanner brothers who lived in Weald in one of two cottages which stood where Long Paddock now stands. Ricks were thatched to keep the rain out just as with a house. This was done before barns were built to keep the straw and hay dry for use in the winter for feed and bedding. The house behind the thatched hayrick has a very long pole ladder propped up. This type of ladder was made from one very long straight tree trunk (pole) which was split down its length and spars put across. It didn't matter if there were slight kinks in the pole because by splitting down its length they were still parallel.
Photograph outside the Malt Shovel Inn in Lavender Square. It was also a grocers shop. Mr Kent is left of the three in the cart. They raised pigs and sold all pork items including sausages. They also sold vinegar from a barrel and people took their own jar or jug when purchasing it.
Photograph of Robinson's shop selling meat and groceries on the north side of the Market Square in the first half of the 1900s. On the right-hand edge of the picture railings can be seen and these were in front of The Bell Inn. The little lane at the back running from Cheapside to Lavender Square is known as 'Back of The Bell' by all long-time residents and gets its name from this inn. In 1923 the Women’s Institute was created on the site of the Bell Inn.
Looking north along Broad Street. There is a real mix of styles of houses on the left and a mixture of mini terraced rows and others on the right. A wagon like a gypsy wagon can be seen on the grass. The Plough Inn is on the right with the sign clearly visible above the horse's rump. Young trees on the left were planted by George Gerring, who lived in Broad Street, about 1906/8 and they have been kept pollarded and most of these original trees are still alive. Those which have died have been replaced.
Box House is on the left edge of this picture and was built on the site of what had been the first National School in Bampton. Constables bakers with the advert for Hovis bread is in the centre, The Lamb Inn with the huge Ash tree (top branches visible over the roof of Constables) can be seen quite clearly and the fun fair stalls which were also part of the horse fair can be seen in the Market Square. A police constable is on duty and standing surveying the scene and there is an Oxford cart outside Box House.
Horse & cart outside the Elephant & Castle, which is thatched. The horse has a nosebag so the owner is almost certainly inside the inn.
Broad St looking north with young trees on the west side and The Plough public house on the east side. Approximately 1912. The trees were donated and planted by George Gerring who lived in Broad Street. Note the gateway into Bampton Manor is on the corner of Landells and Broad Street.
Broad Street looking north. Lots of people plus a horse & cart, The Plough on the east side and young trees on the west side, so this will have been taken about 1912. Note the gateway into Bampton manor is on the corner of Landells and Broad Street.
T W Pembrey in High Street was Bampton's only department store. At its peak it included the house facing on the far side of Bushey Row (which was then called New Inn Lane), the thatched dwelling on the corner now called Strawberry Cottage plus the next two dwellings coming towards the camera, now called Lesta House and No7 High Street. Their two daughters ran a school for young ladies in The Elms on Broad Street.
The New Inn, T W Pembrey, thatched hay rick all seen in High Street looking west with the Spire of St Mary's in the background. Note there is no defined footpath on the left although there is a gulley. Hay ricks were thatched before the advent of barns and the thatchers were skilled agricultural labourers who were usually itinerant. The Tanner brothers from Weald Street did this job in Bampton in the earlier days of the 20th century and Reg Rouse was a farmer who could also do the job.
High St looking west from outside T W Pembrey and The New Inn to Market Square. There is a gulley on the right at where there is now a pavement and there's much horse manure each side of the gulley. There is an early production car going towards the town centre.
West aspect of The Lamb Inn c1935. Richard Day licenced to retail beer to be sold on the premises
Len Hughes' garage & coaches in Cheapside. The Lamb Inn has been pulled down and the Market Square garage built, but the single-story building on the west side of the old Lamb Inn still stands. By the amount of building material piled up it looks as if this single-story building is about to come down and the garage show room built on the site. The clock is still on the Town Hall but was later put on to the garage showroom.
Robinson's grocery store and The Bell Inn in the Market Square pre-1920 because the buildings beyond The Bell were pulled down to build the War Memorial which was dedicated in Sept 1920
Wenman's was a baker, confectioner and mealman and was attached to the east end of The Bell Inn. It was pulled down to make way for the War Memorial.
Three pictures on a page of Jim Hughes, son of Len and Elsie Hughes. Jim has his coach driver's badge on in one picture. He drove his father's coaches; he took the Francis Shergold's Morris team on a tour of Ireland in 1968 along with friends and relatives of the dancers and several from Swindon Folk Club. A wonderful 10-day trip for £27 including ferry crossing, accommodation and breakfast and four dinners.
Broad St looking north showing gas light and The Plough Inn. Fairly recently planted trees down the left by Mr George Gerring of Broad Street
The is the south aspect of the cottage in the Market Square which later became the Lamb Inn. It closed in the 1950s and was completely demolished in 1960 to make way for the Market Square Garage
Robertson’s the butchers on the left and the Bell Inn on the right. The lane behind is called back of the Bell even now, in the early C21st although the Inn closed around 1920-22 when the building was turned into the Women’s Institute Hall. At the same time, the two properties beyond The Bell, Wenman's Bakery and Mrs Ward's cottage from where she sold cooked fish on a Wednesday and Saturday were pulled down to make way for the War Memorial. Charlie Robinson the butcher was by all accounts a pleasant, mild man but his wife was a tartar and she was involved in the Rough Music incident of 1900 and was one of 22 defendants who appeared before the Witney Magistrates.
There used to be an Inn in the Market Square called The Bell. It was transformed into the WI Hall which is now the Village Hall. The lane at the back is known by all long-time Bampton residents as 'Back of The Bell'. The thatched cottage is one of the 4 oldest houses in Bampton. It is now a private dwelling but I registered the birth of one of my sons here in 1974 when a solicitor used to come and use the premises one day a week
High Street looking west from outside The Grange. Note the thatched hay rick on the right. Two brothers, family name Tanner with crude nicknames of Fart and Trump, lived in Weald St and were skilled thatchers. There is a long pole ladder visible behind the thatched rick. The Morris Clown can be seen called The New Inn and there is a sun blind pulled out at T W Pembrey's shop
Hughes-Owens' notes on the High Street looking west from outside The New Inn, now called the Morris Clown
High Street looking west from The New Inn, now the Morris Clown. No4 Town House is still thatched and the property this side of it is still a shop. Looking to the Market Square, the cottages that were later demolished to make way for the War Memorial which was officially opened in 1922 are still standing.
The south side of the High St showing Stephens the grocers. It later became a shoe snob's and then a wet fish shop before finally becoming a private dwelling. The New Inn is now called The Morris Clown but was The George before it was the New Inn
This picture was taken about 1910 a few years after the trees on the left were planted by George Gerring. The Plough Inn on the right is where the Pig Club had an annual supper each autumn. It's now No7 Broad Street. Note the entrance to Bampton Manor used to be on the corner of Broad St and Landells.
Early C20th view of Cheapside from the Market Square showing Holloway's the printers, latterly Adrian Simmonds' shop, Cheapside and The Lamb Inn
This is the west side of The Lamb Inn with Percy Hughes' butchers adjoining it. The Lamb was completely demolished in 1960 to build Market Square Garage. Note the licensee name over the door is 'Richard Day licensed to retail beer to be consumed on the premises'
The north side of the Market Square showing Robinsons the butchers, the Bell Inn and right on the far right is Wenman's bakery. The bakery and the cottage beyond it where Mrs Ward lived were pulled down to make way for the War Memorial
The Romany Inn, Bridge Street with Mike and Glynis Drysdale. Traditional home cooked pub grub served Tuesday to Saturday 12-2pm 6-9pm. Sunday lunch served 12-3pm. Good quality beers and lagers and real ales all reasonably priced. Homely bed and breakfast accommodation all en suite with TV, tea/coffee facilities and free internet access. Totally enclosed beer garden with children's play area. Big screen TV with full SKY, ESPN, etc package. Great live music venue. The Beam November 2010
Witney Gazette article November 7th 2014. Patrick Strainge butcher in Bampton has won another award for its sausages. The butchers shop was crowned in a celebration of the Great British Banger to mark British Sausage Week, which runs from November 3rd to 9th. Its Blood, Sweat and Tears sausage – inspired by next summer’s Rugby World Cup – was recognized as the best innovative recipe in the South East. Manager Oliver Weaver, 20, won a cook-off judged by former England rugby team captain Phil Vickery alongside other shortlisted chefs in Reading yesterday. The black pudding represents the blood, the salt in the sausage was the sweat and the onions represent the tears, all combined together with locally produced pork. It’s performed really well in the shop.
Bampton's firemen, probably at practice, outside R C Smith's shop in the High Street around 1900. It was Smith's shop before Mr Busby bought it. The property next door is a shop but sadly, the name can't be read on this picture.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places