Item BCA - 2017.1280 - Bampton Parish Church News 1903 and Aston plus adverts

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

BCA - 2017.1280

Title

Bampton Parish Church News 1903 and Aston plus adverts

Date(s)

  • 1903 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

pdf of 28 pages

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Each month, St Mary The Virgin church produced a parish news sheet. The first page is January 2003 gives a round-up of news for 1902. It notes that the war in South Africa is now ended, King Edward VII was crowned on August 9th. Bampton suffered from an epidemic of Small Pox, then Scarlet Fever and at the end of the year Measles. A row of Lime Trees was planted in Broad Street donated by Mr Gerring. The Parish Council undertook the cost of planting them. Years before there had been a row of poplar trees but they had been cut down and Broad Street looked very bare. Monday 16th February 1903 the Lord Bishop held a confirmation in the parish. February 1903 an inspection of the belfry showed the wooden frame in which the bells are hung to be in a parlous state and where the clappers hit the bells has worn the bells so they require a quarter turn and the 5th bell is badly cracks and should be recast. It is proposed that a metal frame be made to replace the rotten wooden one. (In 2005 when more work was done on the bells, the new metal frame was found to be in very sound condition.) March 1903, there is mention of the Coal and Clothing Club, a club which helped people save money to buy their winter coal and winter clothes. April 1903 talks about the rehanging of the bells and their present condition, and mentions the Reading Room for Boys has been a success during the winter with 26 regular users. There is a notice about the forthcoming Vestry meeting; the Vestry used to run Bampton before the Parish Council came into being. May 1903, the churchwardens were re-elected and Messers Gerring snr, G Gerring jnr (George), V Blythe and W Matthews were elected as sidesmen. The accounts are shown. The massive oak frame in which the bells are hung is rotten; it bears the date 1608. There were 6 bells hung in the frame. July 1903,a general report talks of one of the severest floods in many years in Bampton. Mr Southby and Mr Staples-Browne donated coal to people in cottages for them to light fires and dry out their homes which had had up to 18 inches of water in. Mr Southby's farm by Tadpole Bridge (Meadow Farm) was under water. Our Fire Brigade won the District Challenge Shield at the Annual Drill of the South Midland District; they are now entitled to enter the National Challenge Shield to be held at Earls Court Exhibition next year. August 1903, forthcoming meeting of the Mission for Churches. The workers for the Central African Mission have made and sent to Likoma 16 Kisibaus, 3 handkerchief dresses, 5 Vilandus and 5 bags. Funds are requested to give the Sunday School children a treat. Senior choir members have been on a trip. The Foresters (a membership organisation which looked after members who were too ill to work) had their annual service in August with the collection given to the Radcliffe Infirmary. The District Horticultural Society was to have its annual show at The Grange and it states the Society was set up to encourage cottagers to garden. September 1903, decayed, wooden bell-frame has been removed and is in the churchyard for all to see. A bell which is cracked has been lowered into the body of the church for all to see. More money is still needed for the restoration of bells and Mrs Hampshire at the vicarage has cards which people can collect to give to those they think my wish or be able to give. For the Sunday School treat, Mr Taunt the church organist, conducted Bampton's band which played during the afternoon. Swings, cricket and other games were played and a good tea was supplied. Members of the children's clothing club must give up their cards by Sept 28th. October 1903,cards produced to help raise funds for the restoration of the bells are proving worthwhile. The new education act has come into operation and now all children will get free education. The money comes from the County Council and from an Education Rate levied on the whole district. Schools are paid according to attendance and figures are published on this page showing how absenteeism costs the schools dearly. The collection of food and flowers offered at the Harvest Festival service will go to the Radcliffe Infirmary. The reading room for boys between the ages of 10 and 15 will open again for the winter in November. The income from the forthcoming rummage sale will go towards the rent of Church House. Members of the Women's Home Mission are reminded to get their contributions in. November 1903, the iron framework for the bells nearly in place, the work is expected to be completed in time to ring for Christmas. Oxfordshire Needlework Guild - six ladies contributed 28 finished garments. Work parties for the Universities Mission to Central Africa to commence Nov 3rd at the vicarage. Sewing classes for girls over 10 run by the Misses Oates will run through the winter at Church House. December 1903, work on the bells is almost done. Space has been left to augment the ring to one of 8 bells instead of 6. The louvres in the spire need replacing to stop the rain getting in. The clock has to be refitted for striking. Rev. R E Robinson, Master of the Guild of Oxfordshire Bellringers will come and inspect all when it's completed and may well organise a special inaugural peal. There are 43 members of the boys' reading room club and they had a magic lantern show by W A Smith of The Firs, Alvescot. Blankets and sheets will be distributed as usual on Dec 21st, St Thomas's Day at Church House. There will be a treat for the Sunday School children on Holy Innocents Day. June 1904, an article In memorium for Miss Southby of Bampton House. She was buried in the cemetery and was taken there on the bier which was given to the church in memory of Admiral Blackburne (of Weald Manor). The whole page is worth reading to get a true flavour of how such things were written just over 100 years ago. There are entries for Aston and interesting adverts and generally, far more than I've written here.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places