- 1986 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
In 1983 Terry Crowley started a project to record with photographs the people who did voluntary work in the community. He made up four photograph albums with information written by each entry. These can be looked at in the Vesey room.
The other albums can be seen in entry numbers 2018.1458, 2018.1459 and 2018.1461. Simply put the number in the search box and click on the magnifying glass next to it.
Album 4 by Terry Crowley
1. George Dafter. George was a postman in Bampton for 28 years which earned him the Imperial Service Medal; he retired in February 1968. He spent 6 years with 6 M.U. at RAF Brize Norton before the PO.
2. Arnold Woodley, Bampton born lived in Queen Street. He was squire of the Traditional Bampton Morris Men, chairman of the parish council, chairman of the Bampton Horticultural Society, a member of a barn dance band and of the Pumpkin Club. 1986
3. Mrs Winn Woodley lived in Queen Street; treasurer of the Bampton Horticultural Society. 1986
4. Mrs Irene Sharp, lived next to College farmhouse in Bridge Street. She was a church worker and invaluable helper at the Bush Club day centre and seen here with Mrs Ada Tanner. 1986
5. Mrs Ruth Wheeler from Bowling Green Close, sister of Francis and Roy Shergold. Helps at the Bush Club, with the Whit Garlands, Easter Bonnets. 1986
6. Mrs Susan Phillips, Haytor House in Lavender Square. Parish councillor, secretary; West Oxon Arts Ass., Meals on Wheels. Later years she created the Bampton Directory and edited The Beam. 1986
7. Bruce Piercy lived in Weald Street at Sunnyside; Bampton born, a building manager in 1986. Had a Saturday job with Adrian Simmonds when he was younger.
8. Mrs Terry Argles, Church Street. Church worker, helper at Bush Club, secretary for Bampton youth club. 1986
Meals on Wheels Tea Party to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Guests included recipients and helpers past and present plus members of the Social Services and WRVS who run and administer the local and country meals on wheels service.
9. Mrs Jean Howell of the WRVS and the WI cutting the cake. 1986
10. Mrs Clavey, recipient
Miss Dora Townsend helper and school cook. 1986
11. Mrs Susan Phillips, Mrs Liz Banham & Mrs Abi Rooney, helpers. 1986
12. L-R Mrs Betty Lock, Miss Farmer and Mrs Daphne Gaydon, past and present helpers. 1986
13. Mrs Frances Witt and Mrs Joan Currie, helpers. In the background Terry Crowley and Ted Lee. 1986
14. Mr Love and Miss Gill on the right, recipients and Miss D Cooper on the left a helper from Aston.
15. L-R around the table. Miss Marjorie Inkster (in charge of the running and maintenance of gun emplacements across north London in WWII), Mrs Sheila Brookson, Mrs Meg Carter a former teacher, Mrs Kath Bullen and Mrs Barbara Michael, all helpers. 1986
16. Mrs Ann Ferguson in yellow, Mrs Walker and Mrs Annie Smith always known as Ginger Smith; all recipients. 1986
17. Mrs Jean Howell offering a cake to Miss Gertie Wiltshire. The other lady standing, on the left is Mrs Joan Handford. 1986
18. Members of the Social Services and WRVS. 1986
19. Jean Howell on the left talking to the volunteer washers up WI members Mrs Gladys O’Brien in the middle and Mrs Margaret Wythes on the right. 1986
20. Mr Terry Crowley on the left who created these four albums of Bampton people who do voluntary work within the community, talking to Ted and Joyce Lee who are both Meals on Wheels helpers.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Bampton Community Archive (Creator)