Showing 14 results

Archival description
Bampton Community Archive Agriculture and Farming
Print preview View:

13 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Lew Estate 1914

  • BCA - 2020.2396
  • Item
  • 1914

This map was produce for the sale of the Lew Estate in 1914.
There used to be a Post Office and a school in Lew, both shown on this map between University Farm and Holy Trinity Church on the main road.

Bampton Community Archive

The Development of Printed Maps of Oxfordshire - From GOUGH to Google

  • BCA - 2017.371
  • Item
  • 1477 - 1877

In October 2012 the Bampton Environmental Watch Group had a wonderful talk given by John Leighfield on the history of maps and in particular maps of Oxfordshire and Bampton. It was very interesting to note that the first maps of Bampton showed the rivers and streams but no roads, showing the importance of waterways. It really is worth looking at the maps of Bampton carefully, you'll see just how old some buildings are, where the mill was in Bampton and Kerwoods Yard which was one area for the very poor with dwellings that had no land with them, they afforded the occupier a roof as opposed to 'the park bench' but no land on which to produce any food. It's referred to in early census forms and people come to Bampton asking where it is - it's on page 15 of this pdf

Bampton Community Archive

Pre Inclosure map of Clanfield, Bampton, Aston & Yelford

  • BCA - 2020.2392
  • Item
  • 1624

The map is pre Inclosure and covers Clanfield, Bampton, Aston and Yelford. The note with the Yelford map says it was from a map of 1624/5. A note at the right side of the page suggests all these details were pulled together from various sources in 1833 which is post Inclosure, which for the Bampton area was 1821. I can't work out what maps were used for the non-Yelford map but it says HHH is Aston 1771.

Bampton Community Archive

Map with the sale of 5 residential and agricultural properties 1962

  • BCA - 2020.2400
  • Item
  • June 14th 1962

This map was produce by Morre, Allan and Innocent to accompany the sale for 5 residential and agricultural properties May 14th 1962. They are all east and south east of Bampton's main residential area.
Lot 1 is Meadow Farm
Lot 2 is to the north of the Aston road and include Ampney Lodge
Lot 3 is a strip with Calais farm
Lot 4 is a field approximately where Bampton Garden Centre is today
Love 5 is a group of fields to the south of the Great Brook

Bampton Community Archive

Map with sale of Lower Haddon Farm March 1949

  • BCA - 2020.2404
  • Item
  • March 1949

Lower Haddon Farm in the very north of the Bampton area was sold in March 1949. One of these maps was produced by Jackson-Stops of Cirencester the auctioneers and the other was a hand drawn one. They show the names of the fields and what was being grown in them at the time.

Bampton Community Archive

Map of Weald from Plantation south to Cowleaze Corner, east to the Elephant & Castle

  • BCA - 2020.2398
  • Item
  • 1921

This map of 1921 covers the area from Plantation south to Cowleaze Corner and east as far as the Elephant and Castle.

What was a watercourse off the Highmoor Brook to land with The Deanery can be clearly seen and was used for fish farming.

Cobb House is the only vicarage by now, the other two houses of the three-portion being in private hands, one Churchgate house the other now called Kilmore House.

Glebelands houses were not yet built, they didn't come until the 1960s.

The lake with Weald Manor House to its left used to freeze over and the owners of the Manor House used to invite locals to skate on it. Mr & Mrs Colvile lent the field to the west of the lake to the local football club but as it wasn't large enough for the side to play in a certain league, they had to find a new home and for a while used a field at the east end of New Road.

Bampton Community Archive

Map of Bampton Estate at 1789

  • BCA - 2019.1890
  • Item
  • 1789

This map shows the Bampton Estates at 1789. This is before the fields were enclosed and the names of the people who farmed the strips or the name of the field area are on the map. The Quies fields are each side of the Bampton to Brize Norton road, just north of what is now Hobbs Buildings.
The Clanfield to Bampton road is showing top to bottom on the map whereas it really runs east west, so you need to get your head around that, literally.
What we now call Welcome Way is called Wiltham Way - it runs south from Cowleaze Corner into Weald.
Weald Common Meadow was south of what we now think of as the area containing the two Bampton Business Parks.
The Bampton to Buckland road is showing going left to right on the map when it actually runs NW to SE; it had a turnpike.

Bampton Community Archive

Lew School and Post Office & Post Office Farm on a 1914 map

  • BCA - 2020.2403
  • Item
  • 1914

These are two parts of one map created in 1914. I've picked them out to show where the school used to be in Lew, next to University Farm and the Post Office a little to the east just before you get to Trinity Church.

Bampton Community Archive

Four OS maps of Bampton 1971

  • BCA - 2020.2401
  • Item
  • 1971

These four maps were all produce in 1971 and cover

Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 Weald, Hayway Lane, Weald St, Clanfield Road
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3003-3103. Bridge St east to end of houses, north to new school, Colvile Close
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3203-3303. 1971 Mt Owen Rd east inc. Gogg Lane, Aston Rod to Aston
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 1971. Cowleaze Corner, Weald to Aston, north to Horse Shoe PH

Fields, property and farms are all clearly marked.

Bampton Community Archive

Results 1 to 10 of 14