- BCA - 2023.4269
34 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Audio interview of 42m 52s from tape A1 about morris dancing, bells ringing and garlands.
Image is Francis Shergold by Alan Beers.
These are a collection of records compiled by Lloyd Hughes Owens and cover many aspects of local life and people. 1247 local tithes; 1275 extract from Quo Warranto Roll concerning tenures; 1288 Bond of obligation to pay rent for Vicars' house; 1262 Grant of land in Chimney; 1307-8 Confirmation of the rights of the D & C to manorial privilege in Bampton; 1318 Composition concerning common pasture; 1308-19 Records in suit - depositions of witnesses etc - concerning the tithes of Standlake and concerning the burial of the people of Standlake in Bampton parish church; 1360 Judgement in a suit against the chaplain of Standlake; 1406 Memoranda about the burials of the people of Standlake and Herdwyck away from Bampton parish church; 1445 Copy of an earlier grant, exemplified by Edmund Lacy, bishop of Exeter by the Bishop of Lincoln of portions of the parish church of Bampton to the D & C of Exeter; mid 15th century Draft letter recommending Richard Daber as Vicar of Bampton; late 15th century Group of letters about the manor of Bampton, addressed to the bailiff of the manor; 1503-4 Reference to the rebuilding of the chancel of Bampton church; Repairs made in 1496 at a cost of £20 in the accounts spread over 20 years; late 15th century? Reference to a suit between the Earl of Shrewsbury and the D & C concerning common of pasture in Bampton; 1670 Certificate by Bishop of Oxford re William Hodge's resignation of the vicarage; 1691 Receipt by Mr Veysey for the court rolls of Bampton. There is much more information in this collection of papers.
Bampton Community Archive
Summary of Bampton Vicars and Vicarages, dating from years 11th to late 14th century. supplied by Maggie Harris of Churchgate House.
Vicars names mentioned:
Godfrey de Lucy
John Fitz John
Hugh De Ilchester
Hugh De Scotthorn
Roger De Bromyard
Nicholas De Bampton
Robert De Lucy
Simon the Vicar
Nicholas de Totnes
William de Coleshill
Henry de Paris
John dew Kar
William de Bodmin
Richard de Beeston
Robert De Buckingham
Richard de Exeter
John De Serynton
John Chame(or Chanie)
Roger De Heulee
Richard De Braud hurst
Thomas de Boulegh
William Dyer alias Cole
Richard Houghall (Hughol, Huffield)
Roger Barnes lived in Ducklington with his wife Margaret, instrumental in many Bampton bellringers learning to become method ringers. He was one of the top ringers in Oxfordshire and rang in the cathedral church and others in Oxford. He taught many young people in Ducklington to ring and to help those in Bampton. Margaret is also a ringer and continued to ring in Bampton and for several years has been vice tower captain alongside the captain, Dave Rose.
Copy of Funeral Service for Elizabeth Banham held at St Mary's Church held on 28th October 2021
Lis Banham, well known to so many Bamptonians, died April 17th after a courageous fight with cancer. She was a wonderfully active member of the Bampton community. She was one of the founder members of The Bush Club; she helped in the Community Shop; she 'sat' for the Archive in the Vesey room; she played bridge in the Bridge Club for many years and one thing she enjoyed doing was providing the table decorations for the club’s two parties each year. She was a member of the Flower Guild and loved her garden which she opened for Bampton’s Hidden Gardens and many people will remember her for starting and organising the Theatre Club, counting its member on to the return bus to ensure nobody got left behind; she was an active member for fundraising for ZANE, the Zimbabwe project. She always turned up for meetings of the various village groups and was always encouraging and helpful. She flew with the WAAF and you will be able to read much more about her in the next issue of The Lowdown but in the meantime, there is a delightful piece about Lis in the April issue. Her father was an Air Vice Marshall, the only member of the R.A.F. to shoot down an enemy aircraft in both WW1 and WW2. She will be greatly missed by many of us.
Jo Lewington & Frank Hudson
From issue 19 of The Lowdown 2021
Lis Banham, who died on 17th April after a brave fight against cancer, made a truly invaluable contribution to life in Bampton, and has left a wonderful legacy from the forty five years that she lived in the village. To name a few? Lis started the Bampton Theatre Club where she will be remembered for her boundless energy and organisation, especially when making sure no-one got left behind on the buses; she was a stalwart of the Bridge Club for many years; she was a very accomplished gardener and her garden in Church Street regularly featured in Bampton’s Hidden Gardens; and she was a long-time and much valued member of the Bampton Flower Guild making arrangements for church and community events. Lis was actively involved in the Community Shop, the Bampton Community Archive where she sat in the Vesey Room, and BZP, the fund-raising society for different projects in Zimbabwe. She was a leading force behind the building of the Bampton Youth Club on Church View. In addition, Lis was at various times a Parish Councillor, a volunteer hospital driver and a Witney Citizens Advice Bureau member, truly a lady for all seasons and of many talents. Lis was born on 21st February 1931; her father was an Air Vice Marshall and was the only man to shoot down enemy aircraft in both World Wars. She joined the Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) in 1949 as a Pilot Officer and served with RAF Intelligence during the Malayan Conflict all over South East Asia - Singapore, Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam, Ceylon, Hong Kong, and the Philippines. She returned to RAF Coltishall in East Anglia where she met her husband, Dickie Banham, an RAF fighter pilot. As a Flying Officer, she left the WAAF upon marrying in 1957 (a necessity in those days). Lis and Dickie moved around with the Air Force and lived in Washington DC for two years while Kennedy was President, and they also had spells in Ghana, and Cyprus during the Turkish invasion of 1974-76. They were posted back to the UK and to RAF Brize Norton in December 1976, where Lis fell in love with the local area and decided she wanted to settle there, having spent a life of moving houses around the world. They moved into Tudor Cottage, Bampton in the Spring of 1978 and she remained there for the rest of her life. Lis will be much missed by so many in Bampton and beyond. ~ A Life Remembered ~
PDF copy of the Service celebrating 40th anniversary of the sharing of St Marys Church with the Roman Catholic Church in the presence of Apostolic Nuncio The most Reverend Antonio Mennini, Contains an interesting account of the history Roman Catholic Services held in Bampton from The Eagle Pub, The Town Hall, and the Old Grammar School before moving to St Mary's
Photographs of the two heads in the south aisle of St. Mary's Church
Newspaper article and Leaflet asking for donations to help with the restoration of the Church Organ which was originally made by William Gray in 1812 at a cost of £460 guineas. Estimated cost for the project was £175,000 which would comprise of £75,000 grant and £100,000 from donations. Work was eventually carried out by Cousins Organs in Coalville North-west Leicestershire, after the company Peter Collins Ltd of Melton Mowbray went into administration. Douglas Clare -churchwarden and treasurer and choirmaster - David New
Printed Sheet with Hymns and Prayers for Order of Service - Opening of the Horde Aisle as a vestry Nov. 8th 1894
Attended by the Bishop