The White family lived in Sandford Cottage, the thatched cottage on the south side of Sandford field from at least as early as 1900. These photographs cover the period 1910 to 1960. They are all family related, some babies, children, adults.
W Payne & Son, Great Western Railway Co Agents, Bampton and Lechlade. Cab & Omnibus Proprietors, horses, brakes, carriages etc for hire. Cartage contractors and furniture removers. Chief office The Hill, Witney Oxon. Railway depots Bampton, Chipping Norton and Lechlade. The remains of one of their ads in black lettering can be seen on the side of their house which was Castle View in Bridge Street.
This advert is in the 1911 Kelly's Trade Directory
The Horse Fair in Bridge Street looking east. At one time, it was one of the larger horse fairs in the country. Boys with barrows collected the horse dung for sale. The Wheatsheaf became the post office in 1972 and a private house in 2010 when the post office moved to the middle room of the Town Hall. The three semi-circular windows in the first floor of was the HSBC bank (in 2014) and Patrick Strainge butchers have been altered at some point to look like their neighbouring upstairs windows.
Ordnance Survey Map showing Area from Marsh Lane, Weald and Clanfield Road, used by Habgood and Mammatt Chartered Auctioneers and Estate Agents of Witney Some Pencil markings showing land belonging to Parker, Abingdon Poor, Litchfield, Buckingham, Townsend, and "Little Weald" Auction 15/6/62. Printed and published by Ordnance Survey Office Southampton 1913 Price 3/-
This map is from 1913 and covers the area from Marsh Lane on the eastern edge of Clanfield west across Weald. However, all of Bridge Street, half the Talbot Inn, the west side of the Market Square, the South side of Church Street and Church View are all in Weald and they are not shown here, possibly because the map was for agricultural purposes. There are some very interesting notes added in pencil.