Showing 4 results

Archival description
Chimney Agriculture and Farming
Print preview View:

3 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Ordnance Survey Map dated 1922 Grafton to Chimney including villages

  • BCA - 2022.3830
  • Item
  • 1922

Ordnance Survey Map Dated 1922. showing villages from Grafton Clanfield, Alvescot, Bampton south to Thames, Aston, Chimney
There are pencil notes on the map difficult to read'
The places printed on map are as follows
Bampton
Baptist Chapel
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Broad Street
Broad Street
Calais Farm
Castle remains
Cheapside
Church Lane
Churchgate House
Coalpit Farm
Deanery Farm
Elephant and Castle
Fishers Bridge
Gas Works
Ham Court
Highmoor Brook
Lady Well
Manor Cottage
Manor House
Mill Barn
Mill Bridge
Mount Owen Farm
New Inn Lane
Old Gravel Pit
Plantation
Primrose Cottages
Sandford Villa
Swan Inn
The Grange
Vicarage
Water Tower
Weald Manor House
Windmill House
Wrights hill
Lower Haddon Farm
Ven Bridge
Elmwood House

Alvescot
Alvescot House
Alvescot Lodge
Alvescot Mill
Alvescot Station
Bates Land Farm
Buxhill Farm
Manor Farm Alvescot
Milestone Road
Old Chapel Pit
Plough Inn
Rectory Farm
Red Lion PH
Royal George PH
Shield Farm
Smithy
St Peters Church
The Rectory
Vine Cottage

Clanfield
Little Clanfield
Grafton Green Farm
Little Clanfield Mill
Manor Farm

Radcot
Radcot New Buildings
Langley Lane
Langford Brook
Ashton Pill Bridge
Swan Inn
Cradle Bridge (Foot)
Radcot Bridge
River Thames
Entrenchment The Garrison
Towing Path
Radcot Lock
Sharney Brook
Burroway Brook
Burroway Bridge
Sharney Bridge
River Thames or Isis
Old Mans Bridge

Clanfield
Manor Farm
Broadwell Brook
Chestlion Farm
Clanfield Weir Farm
Engineering Work
Friar's Court Monastry
Pound Lane
St Stephens
Windmill Farm

Black Bourton
East Gloucestershire Branch Railway
Garsons Copse
High House
Manor Farm
Moat House
St Marys Church
Vicarage
Corn Mill
Lower Farm

Buckland Road
Boat House
Buckland Marsh
Great Brook
Isle of Wight Bridge
Meadow Farm
Tadpole Bridge
Tenfoot Bridge

Aston, Cote and Chimney
Aston House
Bull Inn
Bull Street
Cote House
Cote Lodge
Duckend Farm
Girls Training Home
Ham Lane
Kingsway Farm
North Street
Old Clay Pit
St James Church

Yelford
Claywell Farm
Elmbank
Manor Farm
Newhouse Farm
Rickless Hill
St Swithins Church
Yelford Manor
Ditcham Wood
Rushey Butts
Lew Lodge

Janet Westman

1922 map of Clanfield, Alvescot, Black Bourton, Grafton, Bampton, Aston, Cote & Chimney

  • BCA - 2020.2399
  • Item
  • 1922

This map was produced in 1922 and shows the field system as well as the parliamentary boundaries as at 1918.

There are many interesting notes written on in pencil. The water tower and gas works along the Aston Road were in existence. The allotment gardens NW of Beam Cottage are labelled as is the gravel pit to the SW of Beam Cottage.

There are no houses to the north of New Road and none to the south of it going east from Bushey Row.

Rushy Weir is shown clearly as is the tow path to the south side of the river Thames.

Bampton Community Archive

A General View of Agriculture in Oxfordshire

  • BCA - 2022.3813
  • Item
  • 1813

A general view of agriculture in Oxfordshire carried out in 1807 and published in 1813. Rates, thrashing mills and tillage. Drilling, wheat, beans and tares. Cattle and Labour. Relating to Bampton and its hamlets, Haddon, Weald, Cote, Aston, Lew, Chimney and Shifford. Report is written by Arthur Young and seems to use Mr. Singleton of Bampton as an example of of how things were done.

Janet Westman

Documents relating to Bampton Among Archives of D&C in Exeter, compiles by Lloyd Hughes Owens

  • BCA - 2017.687
  • Item
  • 1247 - 1963

These are a collection of records compiled by Lloyd Hughes Owens and cover many aspects of local life and people. 1247 local tithes; 1275 extract from Quo Warranto Roll concerning tenures; 1288 Bond of obligation to pay rent for Vicars' house; 1262 Grant of land in Chimney; 1307-8 Confirmation of the rights of the D & C to manorial privilege in Bampton; 1318 Composition concerning common pasture; 1308-19 Records in suit - depositions of witnesses etc - concerning the tithes of Standlake and concerning the burial of the people of Standlake in Bampton parish church; 1360 Judgement in a suit against the chaplain of Standlake; 1406 Memoranda about the burials of the people of Standlake and Herdwyck away from Bampton parish church; 1445 Copy of an earlier grant, exemplified by Edmund Lacy, bishop of Exeter by the Bishop of Lincoln of portions of the parish church of Bampton to the D & C of Exeter; mid 15th century Draft letter recommending Richard Daber as Vicar of Bampton; late 15th century Group of letters about the manor of Bampton, addressed to the bailiff of the manor; 1503-4 Reference to the rebuilding of the chancel of Bampton church; Repairs made in 1496 at a cost of £20 in the accounts spread over 20 years; late 15th century? Reference to a suit between the Earl of Shrewsbury and the D & C concerning common of pasture in Bampton; 1670 Certificate by Bishop of Oxford re William Hodge's resignation of the vicarage; 1691 Receipt by Mr Veysey for the court rolls of Bampton. There is much more information in this collection of papers.

Bampton Community Archive