First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost. Names of people owning fields
Mr. Wilkins JG Andrews Trustees FF Southby Stevens of Calais Farm WW Shepherd Mr Rose Mr Carter Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400 Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700 L Dafter Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275
Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows: Beam Cottage Bridge Street Calais Farm Cheapside Church Street Fishers Bridge Manor Cottage Manor House New Inn Lane Primrose Cottages Swan Inn The Grange
This Ordnance Survey Plan SP3003-3103. Dated 1971 shows area Bridge St east to end of houses, north to new school, Colvile Close etc Properties and Streets listed : Air Training Corps Ampney Lodge Apple Tree Cottage April Cottage Army cadet Hut Bakery Bampton House Bay Tree Cottage Belgrave Cottage Blackthorn Cottage Blackthorn Cottagre Bourton Cottage Box House Bushey House Calais Farm Cheapside Chestnuts Churchgate House Churchgate House Clevelly Cobb House Corner Cottage Cornmill Cotsway Cotswold Lodge Courtlands Dairy Farm House Deanery Farm Down Home Elephant and Castle Eton Villas Felix Cottage Fernlea Field Cottage Fishers Bridge Fleur de Lys Folly House Folly View Fox Close George and Dragon Grayshot House Ham Court Haytor House Highmoor Brook Inglenook Cottage Kilmore House Kilmore House Landells Leighton Cottage Lester House Library Lime Tree House Little Pinkneys Little Place Cottage Littlemead Lynton Mead Mallows Manor House Matthew House Melita Moss Rose Cottage Oathurst Estate Plantation Pococks Close Police Office Poplar Cottage Primrose Cottages Priory Cottage Prospect Cottage Prospect House Prospect Place Quebec Cottage Rhandom Roseann Rosebrook Rosemary House San Toy Sandford House Southrop House Southside St Johns House St Oswald Sunnyside Cottage Thatched Cottage The Bungalow The Deanery The Eagle The Elms The Gate Cottage The Glen The Grange The Grey House The Haven The Hermitage The Horse Shoe The Jubilee The Malt Shovel The Old Forge The Vicarage The Yews Town Hall Tudor Cottage Turnings Vaizey Cottage Vicarage Victoria Cottages Vine Cottage Weald Manor House Wheelgate House Windsmore Windsor Cottagres Yew Tree Cottage Youth Club Ampney Orchard Aston Road Bowling Green Close Bridge Street Broad Street Buckland Road Bushey Row Chandler Close Cheapside Church Lane Church Street Church View Colvile Close Glebelands High Street High Street Lavender Square Manor View Mercury Close New Road Queens Street Rosemary Lane
These three pictures show the Shirt Race over several years. The first race ever took place in 1953 to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. All the contestants wore long night shirts hence the name. The children's race is seen by the bridge in Buckland Road. In those days the race started by The Swan Inn just beyond the bridge on the left. In later years, the night shirts were done away with and with fewer and fewer prams available, the modes of transport have varied and the costumes are now so good there is a competition before the races to judge the best one.
The Trout part way along the road from Bampton to Buckland is a very popular eating place. It is on the Thames and many fishermen and women have the right to have a rod there and they go to the pub, eat and fish. A cycle path would have been a wonderful addition to safe riding and these pictures are taken from scanned black and white negatives.
This map was produce by Morre, Allan and Innocent to accompany the sale for 5 residential and agricultural properties May 14th 1962. They are all east and south east of Bampton's main residential area. Lot 1 is Meadow Farm Lot 2 is to the north of the Aston road and include Ampney Lodge Lot 3 is a strip with Calais farm Lot 4 is a field approximately where Bampton Garden Centre is today Love 5 is a group of fields to the south of the Great Brook