Horse fair and fun fair seen outside the west side of the Market Square. It would also have filled the Market Square. The Inn at the top left of the photograph is the Lamb, known by locals as The Tree because of the large Ash tree growing outside it. The Inn was completely demolished in 1960 to make way for building the Market Square Garage. The sign for the Talbot hotel shows the landlord to be W Norman. Almost every man wears a hat.
This card was sent from Jan, Jasper and Andrew Walsh to Andrew West in 1986. Francis Shergold seen on the left, Terry Rouse centre the fool, Tony Daniels behind Terry. Jamie Wheeler playing the accordion.
Picture postcard across the east end of the Market Square showing part of the Town Hall, The Drapers, The Talbot and Hythe House. It is addressed to Mrs W. J. Johnson at Syringa Cottage in Aston post dated September 28th 1905
George Talbot the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, was the only son of Francis Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury and Mary Dacre. As a young man George saw military service under Protector Somerset in the ‘Rough Wooings’ in Scotland and he married Gertrude Manners, daughter of the 1st Earl of Rutland, by whom he had six children, although she died in 1566. In March 1568, he married Bess of Hardwick, the wealthy widow of Sir William Cavendish of Chatsworth, who was a year older than himself. The first creation of Earl of Shrewsbury occurred in 1074 for Roger de Montgomerie, one of William the Conqueror's principal counsellors. Roger thus became one of the most powerful magnates in England, ruling most of Shropshire and holding lands in eleven other counties, and included most of Bampton which continued to belong to the family through future generations. Roger was succeeded in 1094 by his younger son Hugh, his elder son Robert of Belléme succeeding to his lands in Normandy. On Hugh's death in 1098 the earldom passed to his brother Robert. More information about the Earls of Shrewsbury can be found in the pdf attached.