Showing 968 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

948 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Richborough Estates, the developer behind a 160-home estate in the village has agreed to fund an extension at Bampton Primary School.

  • BCA - 2020.2355
  • Item
  • Richborough Estates, the developer behind a 160-home estate in the village has agreed to fund an extension at Bampton Primary School.

Witney Gazette September 20th 2014.
The developer behind a 160-home estate in the village has agreed to fund an extension at Bampton Primary School. Richborough Estates, which was granted planning permission by West Oxfordshire District Council in March, will also invest in

bus stops,
the village library and
public art projects

as part of its developer contributions for the scheme. More than 330 residents signed a petition opposing the development, which will include a combination of one to five-bedroom houses, saying it was over-development and could lead to further flooding.

«

Bampton Community Archive

Ploughing Match in Kelmscott September 26th 2015

  • BCA - 2017.1112
  • Item
  • BCA - 2017.1112

The Fairford, Faringdon, Filkins and Burford Ploughing Match Society held their annual ploughing match at Kelmscott on September 26th 2015. These photographs show some of what was to be seen at the show.

Bampton Community Archive

Documents relating to Bampton Among Archives of D&C in Exeter, compiles by Lloyd Hughes Owens

  • BCA - 2017.687
  • Item
  • 1247 - 1963

These are a collection of records compiled by Lloyd Hughes Owens and cover many aspects of local life and people. 1247 local tithes; 1275 extract from Quo Warranto Roll concerning tenures; 1288 Bond of obligation to pay rent for Vicars' house; 1262 Grant of land in Chimney; 1307-8 Confirmation of the rights of the D & C to manorial privilege in Bampton; 1318 Composition concerning common pasture; 1308-19 Records in suit - depositions of witnesses etc - concerning the tithes of Standlake and concerning the burial of the people of Standlake in Bampton parish church; 1360 Judgement in a suit against the chaplain of Standlake; 1406 Memoranda about the burials of the people of Standlake and Herdwyck away from Bampton parish church; 1445 Copy of an earlier grant, exemplified by Edmund Lacy, bishop of Exeter by the Bishop of Lincoln of portions of the parish church of Bampton to the D & C of Exeter; mid 15th century Draft letter recommending Richard Daber as Vicar of Bampton; late 15th century Group of letters about the manor of Bampton, addressed to the bailiff of the manor; 1503-4 Reference to the rebuilding of the chancel of Bampton church; Repairs made in 1496 at a cost of £20 in the accounts spread over 20 years; late 15th century? Reference to a suit between the Earl of Shrewsbury and the D & C concerning common of pasture in Bampton; 1670 Certificate by Bishop of Oxford re William Hodge's resignation of the vicarage; 1691 Receipt by Mr Veysey for the court rolls of Bampton. There is much more information in this collection of papers.

Bampton Community Archive

History of Maps and maps of Bampton

  • BCA - 2017.371
  • Item
  • 1477 - 1877

In October 2012 the Bampton Environmental Watch Group had a wonderful talk given by John Leighfield on the history of maps and in particular maps of Oxfordshire and Bampton. It was very interesting to note that the first maps of Bampton showed the rivers and streams but no roads, showing the importance of waterways. It really is worth looking at the maps of Bampton carefully, you'll see just how old some buildings are, where the mill was in Bampton and Kerwoods Yard which was one area for the very poor with dwellings that had no land with them, they afforded the occupier a roof as opposed to 'the park bench' but no land on which to produce any food. It's referred to in early census forms and people come to Bampton asking where it is - it's on page 15 of this pdf

Bampton Community Archive

Pre Inclosure map of Clanfield, Bampton, Aston & Yelford

  • BCA - 2020.2392
  • Item
  • 1624

The map is pre Inclosure and covers Clanfield, Bampton, Aston and Yelford. The note with the Yelford map says it was from a map of 1624/5. A note at the right side of the page suggests all these details were pulled together from various sources in 1833 which is post Inclosure, which for the Bampton area was 1821. I can't work out what maps were used for the non-Yelford map but it says HHH is Aston 1771.

Bampton Community Archive

Map of Bampton Estate at 1789

  • BCA - 2019.1890
  • Item
  • 1789

This map shows the Bampton Estates at 1789. This is before the fields were enclosed and the names of the people who farmed the strips or the name of the field area are on the map. The Quies fields are each side of the Bampton to Brize Norton road, just north of what is now Hobbs Buildings.
The Clanfield to Bampton road is showing top to bottom on the map whereas it really runs east west, so you need to get your head around that, literally.
What we now call Welcome Way is called Wiltham Way - it runs south from Cowleaze Corner into Weald.
Weald Common Meadow was south of what we now think of as the area containing the two Bampton Business Parks.
The Bampton to Buckland road is showing going left to right on the map when it actually runs NW to SE; it had a turnpike.

Bampton Community Archive

Descendants of Richard Edginton b.1807

  • BCA - 2018.1503
  • Item
  • 1807 - 2018

This is the family tree of Richard Edginton.

Names in the family tree.

Barrett Basson Bellinger

Bone Buckingham Bunce

Burchell Butler Cole

Edginton Elward Fowler

Griffiths Hewish Hibberd

Jones Jordan Knott

La Croix Loveridge McGregor

Merchant Merrick Mills

Newman Perchard Preston

Tanner Tinson Townsend

Whitlock Woodley Wraight

Bampton Community Archive

Results 1 to 10 of 968