Showing 244 results

Archival description
Architecture and Buildings
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

243 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Statutory Declaration by G.A. Graves & J.H. Graves, July 12th & 13th 1960

  • BCA - 2019.2273
  • Item
  • July 12th & 13th 1960

This is the Abstract of the Title of The executors of George Collins Graves to property in Church Street October 23rd 1903.Names mentioned in the document include :-1. George Collins Graves2. John Berriman Smith3. Anne Smith4. Margaret Ann Clarke5...

Bampton Community Archive

Search re land with The Cottage March 2nd 1960

  • BCA - 2019.2272
  • Item
  • March1960

These documents all relate to a search on the land with The Cottage (now called Roseanne) in Church Street in March 1960 on behalf of Mr & Mrs L.M. Slatter.

Bampton Community Archive

Official search requests re land in Church St, 1959, 1960 and 1960

  • BCA - 2019.2271
  • Item
  • 1959 196

These three documents are all to do with search requests for the house which today is called Roseanne in Church Street.The names on the forms are:-1. March 3rd 1959 - Jesse Thomas King, Edith Mary King, Mabel Jane Bartlett2. July 18th 1960 - Geor...

Bampton Community Archive

Abstract of the title of executors of B C Graves 1960. Oct 23rd 1903

  • BCA - 2019.2269
  • Item
  • October 23rd 1903

These are three documents all related to a search regarding the land immediately behind and what was to the east side of The Cottage, now called Roseanne in Church Street.The date is March 2nd 1960,

Bampton Community Archive

Mr & Mrs L M Slatter request search on land with The Cottage March 2nd 1960

  • BCA - 2019.2268
  • Item
  • March 2nd 1960

Under the Town and Country Planning Act of 1954, an application made for notice under section 33 (1) regarding land at Church Street. A need to know if in the next 5 years the council propose to acquire, compulsory or otherwise, or if the council...

Bampton Community Archive

Statutory declaration by G.A. Graves & J.H. Graves July 12th & 13th 1960

  • BCA - 2019.2267
  • Item
  • July 12th & 13th 1960

This is a statutory declaration by G.A. Graves and J.H. Graves made on July 12th and 13th 1960.They say the land in Church Street along with shed and pigsties was conveyed to their father George Collins Graves October 23rd 1903 in a conveyance bet...

Bampton Community Archive

Documents lodged with Land Registry 1959-2008

  • BCA - 2019.2262
  • Item
  • 1959 2008

This is a simple list of documents that have been lodged with the Land Registry from 1959 to 2008 with regard to the property called Roseanne. On some documents it has been spelt Roseann.Names mentioned are:-E.M. KingMr & Mrs G J SlatterMr G....

Bampton Community Archive

Legal documents re The Cottage & Thatched Cottage 1965-1967

  • BCA - 2019.2260
  • Item
  • 1965 1967

This pulls together various legal documents that have been put on this website all to do with 'The Cottage' now called Roseanne in Church Street and sometimes there's reference to 'Thatched Cottage' with which it is semi-d...

Bampton Community Archive

Conveyance of 'The Cottage' along with 'Thatched Cottage'

  • BCA - 2019.2257
  • Item
  • March 30th 1908

This document dated March 30th 1908 is a conveyance by the solicitors Messrs John Townsend Rose & John Wakelin to Mr Henry Peter Faulks and concerns the conveyance of 'The Cottage' (today called Roseanne) and 'Thatched Cottage&#...

Bampton Community Archive

Abstract of Titles of Mr G. A. Graves

  • BCA - 2019.2251
  • Item
  • 1966

This is the Abstract of Title of Mr G. A. Graves and makes reference to1. the memorandum endorsed on the Probate of the Will of George Colin Graves deceased dated February 3rd 19662. a conveyance dated July 28th 1960 made between George Alfred Gra...

Bampton Community Archive

Statutory declaration of Mrs M. J. Bartlett re 'The Cottage'

  • BCA - 2019.2250
  • Item
  • March 9th 1959

This statutory declaration by Mabel Jane Bartlett is to stay she's known the property called 'The Cottage' (now known as Roseanne in 2019) for 35 years. After reading a conveyance dated April 13th 1934 between Henry Peter Faulks an...

Bampton Community Archive

Requisition for an official search re 'The Cottage' by OCC and WRDC

  • 2019.2249
  • Item
  • January 9th 1959

The solicitors who put in this application were Ravenor, Batt and Lee, 14 The Hill, Witney.It relates to 'The Cottage' in Church Street, a property which now has the name Roseanne.The total cost for searches by OCC (Oxfordshire County Co...

Bampton Community Archive

In estate of Jesse Thomas King deceased, assent to Edith Mary King

  • BCA - 2019.2246
  • Item
  • January 25th 1949

Legal document dated January 25th 1949 In the Estate of JESSE THOMAS KING Deceased - Assent - vesting the Deceased's Estate in his wife/widow Edith Mary King.The property was called 'The Cottage' and is now called Roseanne, in Ch...

Bampton Community Archive

Conveyance of 'The Cottage', now known as Roseanne, in Church Street 13.4.1934

  • BCA - 2019.2245
  • Item
  • April 13th 1934

An application for an Official Search for The Cottage (now known as Roseanne) garden and premises situate in Church Street Bampton on April 12th 1934 followed by :-Conveyance on April 13th 1934 between Henry Peter Faulks of Clanfield in the county...

Bampton Community Archive

Conveyance, Thomas Angel Smith to George Oakey

  • BCA - 2019.2265
  • Item
  • August 16th 1887

This is a conveyance made on August 16th 1887. Mr Thomas Angel Smith to Mr George Oakey, the two cottages which are semi detached and today called 'Roseanne' and 'The Cottage' in Church Street. The gardens measure 1 rood and ...

Bampton Community Archive

Official certificate of search, 'The Cottage' - now Roseanne - by WRDC

  • BCA - 2019.2243
  • Item
  • April 12th 1934

This is a schedule to search relating to 'The Cottage' a property now (2019) called Roseanne. The handwritten account says:-All that messuage or Cottage together with the garden outbuildings and premises thereto adjoining and belonging ...

Bampton Community Archive

Sale of parcel of land behind the garage with Roseanne

  • BCA - 2019.2241
  • Item
  • May 5th 1967

This is the conveyance of a small plot of land behind the garage of the house now called Roseanne in Church Street.Sold by Alice Investments Ltd to Mr George James Slatter and his wife Mrs Lucy Mary Slatter who owned Roseanne.It cost £1.

Bampton Community Archive

Conveyance of property in Church Street

  • BCA - 2019.2240
  • Item
  • July 28th 1960

This is a conveyance of land including garden, shed, yard and pigsties at the back of the house now called Roseanne in Church Street.Mr G. A. Graves and Mr J. H. Graves sold to Mr George James Slatter and his wife Mrs Lucy Mary Slatter, who owned ...

Bampton Community Archive

Conveyance of freehold cottage in Church St. now called Roseanne

  • BCA - 2019.2239
  • Item
  • March 10th 1959

This is a conveyance of a freehold cottage and premises situate in Church Street, Bampton in the county of Oxford.The personal representative of Edith Mary King deceased to Mr George James Slatter and his wife Lucy Mary Slatter.The sale price was ...

Bampton Community Archive

Restoration and renovation of Roseanne, Church Street

  • BCA - 2019.2253
  • Item
  • 2008

When John and Rose Grout bought Roseanne in Church Street, they set about renovating and modernising the property. It is a very old house and John photographed beams, timbers and stonework as he went in 2008.John Grout said:-"The two cottage...

Bampton Community Archive

Sale of 'The Cottage' and Thatched Cottage 1908

  • BCA - 2019.2254
  • Item
  • March 4th 1908

Dwelling houses - The Cottage (now called Roseanne) and Thatched Cottage, semi detached, were for sale by auction in the Talbot Inn, Bampton on March 4th 1908. Thatched Cottage was almost certainly two dwellings at some previous point in time. B...

Bampton Community Archive

Bampton's pumping station in 1914

  • BCA - 2019.2234
  • Item
  • 1914

The pumping station for Bampton used to be nearer to Brize Norton than Bampton along Station Road. This picture was taken at the pumping station in 1914.An interesting mixture of clothing with some in shirt sleeves and two looking fit to be on a ...

Bampton Community Archive

The Grange seen through the twentieth century

  • BCA - 2019.2213
  • Item
  • twentieth century

Most of these photographs of the Grange in the High Street were taken early in the twentieth century.The Morris dancers are seen there in the 1980s.

Bampton Community Archive

The Old Grammar School in Church View

  • BCA - 2019.2211
  • Item
  • various dates

BAADF6 - The north side of the Grammar School in Church View built in 1650. Photograph taken in 1946. There was a good area of garden with it which can be seen beyond the building but most of it is now fenced off and rented by the people in Churc...

Bampton Community Archive

Sale of 2 dwellings in Church Street 1908

  • BCA - 2019.2203
  • Item
  • 1908

To be sold by auction byRichard Gillettat the Talbot hotel in Bampton on Wednesday March 4th 1908, by order of the trustees under the will of the late George Oakey, and under condition to be then and there produced.It looks as if the properties we...

Bampton Community Archive

Church Street in 1998

  • BCA - 2019.2204
  • Item
  • 1998

These photographs were all taken by John Grout in 1998 to record Church Street as it looked in that year.

Bampton Community Archive

After Market Square Garage was removed, before Thornberry Flats were built

  • BCA - 2019.2202
  • Item
  • 1998

These pictures, all taken by John Grout, record the brief moment in time where the Market Square Garage was totally removed and before Thornberry Flats were built on the site. Bell Cottage, the little thatched house is clearly visible.

Bampton Community Archive

Cyril Smith & Son Christopher rebuilding wall at Castle View

  • BCA - 2019.2196
  • Item
  • 2004

Cyril Smith and his son Christopher re-building part of the wall at Castle View, once Castle View Farmhouse on Bridge Street in 2004.Cyril could turn his hand to any building problem and was known for getting about Bampton with his bicycle and he ...

Bampton Community Archive

Local Plan for housing finally agreed by government's planning inspectorate

  • BCA - 2019.2185
  • Item
  • September 2018

For what feels like years and years, WODC have been putting together a Local (housing) Plan and at long last, it was agreed by the governments planning inspectorate. All far too late to stop the speculative developments which WODC could not stop ...

Bampton Community Archive

Various place where the Post Office has been in Bampto

  • BCA - 2019.2172
  • Item
  • 1875 2019

Waterloo House in Broad Street was the first place in Bampton to have anything to do with mail; it was a receiving office only and that was in the C19th.Later in the C19th Martin's Printing Works on the west side of the Market Square became a...

Bampton Community Archive

Sweet Briar Cottage when it was thatched

  • BCA - 2019.2166
  • Item
  • first half C20th

This charming little cottage used to be called Pedlar's Patch and today is called Sweet Briar. The gate is next to Emmies on Bridge Street and the house is set back from the road, behind other cottages. It was the home of agricultural worke...

Bampton Community Archive

St Mary's seen from Sandford Field

  • BCA - 2019.2153
  • Item
  • 1950s

This view of St Mary The Virgin Church was taken looking across Sandford Field, probably in the 1950s but could be ten years earlier. Several of the little cottages seen here have been demolished and Sandfords, the house, has been considerably en...

Bampton Community Archive

The old Carillon in St Mary's, Bampton

  • BCA - 2017.876
  • Item
  • February 2009

The old carillon had to be turned off permanently in the end when too many pins on the drum had fallen out and simply would not stay in place when put back. The resulting sound was not good. When the drum rotated, each pin in the drum would trig...

Bampton Community Archive

Well found inside Castle View

  • BCA - 2019.2055
  • Item
  • 2003

When work was done at Castle View, which at one time was Castle View farmhouse, a well was found. When the work to modernise was completed, the well was covered over and is now under part of the kitchen.

Bampton Community Archive

George & Dragon & Quebec Cottage when you could see it

  • BCA - 2017.1097
  • Item
  • 1994

The George and Dragon while still a pub and Quebec Cottage when it wasn't hidden by trees. It's now almost impossible to see the cottage in the summer when the leaves are on the trees.

Bampton Community Archive

Roads & pathways at Oakwood Gate, built by Cala Homes are not finished

  • BCA - 2019.2038
  • Item
  • December 2018

By December 2018 there was growing anger and frustration at many aspects of the new area called Cala Homes also known as Oakwood Gate, along the north side of New Road which had not been finished or done to a good standard. Residents first moved ...

Bampton Community Archive

The Old Forge and neighbouring properties

  • BCA - 2019.1970
  • Item
  • 1970 2017

To the right of Cromwell House as seen from the road is The Old Forge, which was as its name suggests the site of a forge at one time but is now a private house, partly in Cheapside and partly in Church Street.Cromwell House may have got its name ...

Bampton Community Archive

Sales brochure for Weald Manor 1880 and again 1886

  • BCA - 2019.1953
  • Item
  • 1880 1886

Sale notice for Weald Manor on June 4th 1880 and another sale noticeFreehold & Tithe-Free pasture & arable land for sale August 2nd 1886

Bampton Community Archive

Hughes' Garage in Cheapside in 1966

  • BCA - 2019.1938
  • Item
  • 1966

The garage in the Market Square was in existence at the start of the C20th when Oliver Onesipherous Collett owned and ran it. Around the middle of the twentieth century it was bought by Len Hughes and it's interesting to note that he left th...

Bampton Community Archive

Five views of Bampton on one postcard - late 1960s

  • BCA - 2019.1926
  • Item
  • late 1960s

A postcard with 5 views of Bampton including The War Memorial, the South side of the Market Square, south east aspect of St Mary The Virgin, The Highmoor Brook having gone under the road by Brook House and Town Hall with Market Square Garage in th...

Bampton Community Archive

Church View looking north to St Mary's, late 1960s

  • BCA - 2019.1925
  • Item
  • late 1960s

A view along Church View in the late 1960s with St Mary's at the north end. Not a car in sight which is something you won't see now unless Downton Abbey are filming here.

Bampton Community Archive

Knapps farmhouse for sale in 1999 for £350,000

  • BCA - 2019.1915
  • Item
  • 1999

Newspaper cuttings from the Oxford Times 1999.The thatched eastern end of Knapps farmhouse was originally built as a timber framed medieval hall in the C14th. The stone walled section built under a slate and thatched roof was built in the C17th a...

Bampton Community Archive

Bampton - Country Life magazine July 26th 1946

  • BCA - 2019.1888
  • Item
  • 1946

This is the 2nd of two articles in successive issues of Country Life magazine July 1946. There are pictures of the Grammar School which now houses the library and the exhibition space called the Vesey room used by Bampton Community Archive and We...

Bampton Community Archive

Bampton - Country Life magazine July 19th 1946

  • BCA - 2019.1887
  • Item
  • 1946

This is the first of two articles in successive weeks in Country Life magazine July 1946. This article talks about the architecture of Bampton with pictures of the Market Place, the early Victorian Town Hall, Morris Dancing, Lime Tree house, Thom...

Bampton Community Archive

Sale of Sundown Cottage - was through gate to Sandford

  • BCA - 2019.1844
  • Item
  • 1961

Sundown Cottage was a little cottage just inside the grounds to the right of the gate going into Sandford, down the lane from the Grammar School. When it was more or less derelict it was bought by Molly and Bernard Rose and demolished. You can s...

Bampton Community Archive

The house called Sandford & letters to Mr & Mrs Bernard & Molly Rose

  • BCA - 2019.1840
  • Item
  • 1946 1954

The house now called 'Sandford' was bought for Mr & Mrs Bernard and Molly Rose by Molly's brother of Marshall's Flying School Limited. Bernard had not long been demobbed and he had been a POW in Stendal, Germany. Molly wa...

Bampton Community Archive

Sandford Field and the spire of Saint Mary The Virgin church, c1930

  • BCA - 2019.1838
  • Item
  • c1930

Sandford field looking north, circa 1930.The hedge has not grown up to hide 'Sandfords' (the house), and the area there contains two cottages, not just one large house.Field Cottage is the house on the right.The clearly defined path was ...

Bampton Community Archive

Mrs White in her doorway, Sandford Cottage.

  • BCA - 2019.1837
  • Item
  • 1900-1912

Sandfords Cottage early 20th century with a well in the lower left corner of the picture. The well was shared by the neighbouring cottage which is Brook Cottage. There was a little footpath between the two cottages where, in the 1950s Mr Bert Wh...

Bampton Community Archive

Sandfords in 1946 and again in 1954

  • BCA - 2019.1836
  • Item
  • 1946 1954

Two photographs of Sandfords, one taken in 1946 and again in 1954 after the extension was added. The family living there was was Mr & Mr Bernard and Molly Rose and their children Nigel, Gregory (then named Peter) and Graham. The little girl ...

Bampton Community Archive

Sale brochure for The Lew Estate September 23rd 1914

  • BCA - 2019.1834
  • Item
  • September 23rd 1914

This is the sale brochure for The Lew Estate for sale on Wednesday September 23rd 1914. Listed as a compact Freehold Residential and Sporting Property of 614 acres 0 rods and 8 poles.Knight, Frank & Rutley were the auctioneers to be held at t...

Bampton Community Archive

Sales brochure for The Deanery July 29th 1949

  • BCA - 2019.1833
  • Item
  • July 29th 1949

This is the sales brochure for The Deanery, to be auctioned on Friday July 29th 1949. A note saying 'understood no bid' has been pencilled in but at some point in 1949 Marjorie Pollard bought it.Along with the main house which was partl...

Bampton Community Archive

One sale page for The Windmill, Station Road

  • BCA - 2019.1828
  • Item
  • probably early 1980s

It is a pity there is no date on this sales page for The Windmill on Station Road, but as the telephone number has just 4 digits I think it is about 1980.

Bampton Community Archive

Sale brochure for The Grange, High St. Wednesday April 16th 1930

  • BCA - 2019.1827
  • Item
  • Wednesday April 16th 1930

Sales brochure for The Grange, High Street by Messrs E.J. Brooks & Son on Wednesday April 16th 1930 by order of the executors. Looking at the pencil notes written in the brochure, the sale was withdrawn probably because it failed to reach the ...

Bampton Community Archive

North West & West aspect of the Town Hall & Eeles grocery shop

  • BCA - 2019.1802
  • Item
  • early twentieth century

This picture was taken very near to 1900. The clock erected in 1908 is not yet on the roof.Wheelgate House is still the academy run by Alfie Bryant and Eeles shop is visible.The main feature is the Town Hall showing the north west and west aspect...

Bampton Community Archive

Re-roofing the Grammar School in 1910

  • BCA - 2019.1798
  • Item
  • 1910

The Grammar School in Church View, close to St Mary's, had a new roof in 2010. Arthur Plaster is the person highest up on the roof and he came from a long line of carpenters.John Tanner is to the right, Alfred Collett to the left.It's n...

Bampton Community Archive

Builders in Bampton early twentieth century

  • BCA - 2019.1794
  • Item
  • early twentieth century

Members of the Green family were stone masons, general builders, carpenters, in fact between them they covered all the skills needed in building. Many were members of the retained fire service and many played football for Bampton. They all took ...

Bampton Community Archive

Work starts on building Lavender Place Flats 1968

  • BCA - 2017.738
  • Item
  • March 1968

On March 29th 1938 the Oxford Times reported that work has started on building Lavender Place flats and it is to cost £46,860. The builders are A E Hobley and Sons of North Leigh.

Bampton Community Archive

High Street looking west from the south end of Bushey Row

  • BCA - 2019.1774
  • Item
  • nineteen twenties

This is the High Street looking west from the south end of Bushey Row. The cars would suggest this was taken later in the 1920s. The war memorial can be see so it is post September 1920.Townsend's Cycle shop can be seen with cycles outside ...

Bampton Community Archive

North end of Church View, possibly 1960s

  • BCA - 2019.1768
  • Item
  • Later 50s or early 60s

This is the northern half of Church View with Saint Mary The Virgin church at the top end. Notice the bedroom windows open to air the rooms, the total lack of cars and the open ditch on the right with large slabs crossing it to afford access to e...

Bampton Community Archive

Broad Street looking north in 1904

  • BCA - 2019.1767
  • Item
  • 1904

This is Broad Street looking north. The trees on the left were a gift from Mr Gerring who lived in Broad Street. Previously, there had been lime trees along the road but they'd had to be cut down. The council paid to have them planted.On t...

Bampton Community Archive

Re-thatching of Strawberry Cottage, High Street

  • BCA - 2019.1762
  • Item
  • nineteen eighties

This picture, taken by Hilda Kent shows Strawberry Cottage in the High Street being re-thatched. The date is not known but was re-thatched early in the 1960s and again about 2007 so perhaps this was done about 1984.Andy Bowman did the work.I wond...

Bampton Community Archive

Cobb House

  • BCA - 2019.1736
  • Item
  • 1946

This is the view seen from the gateway to Cobb House which is at the NW corner of St Mary's. It was one of three vicarages for many years. Bampton was a three portion village with one vicar based at Cobb House looking after Bampton Proper w...

Bampton Community Archive

Part of internal doorway at Ham Court

  • BCA - 2019.1734
  • Item
  • early twentieth century & 2010

The black and white picture was taken in the first half of the twentieth century and the colour one in September 2010 just 6 days before the property was sold by Jesus College Oxford. The pillar was once part of the open gateway to the inner cour...

Bampton Community Archive

The Grange, High Street in 1997

  • BCA - 2019.1733
  • Item
  • 1997

This picture of The Grange in the High Street was taken in 1997 when it still had the beautiful wrought iron gates. Locals were saddened when they were replaced with solid wooden gates, which, while affording greater privacy to the owners made it...

Bampton Community Archive

John Taylor looking at the clock that used to be on top of the Town Hall

  • BCA - 2019.1723
  • Item
  • 1972

This is John Taylor who owned the Market Square Garage. He is looking at the workings of the clock that was on top of the Town Hall until major refurbishment work was done on the Town Hall in 1972. For some reason, the clock was removed and John...

Bampton Community Archive

Church View looking north towards St Mary's

  • BCA - 2019.1713
  • Item
  • early twentieth century

Taken early in the twentieth century, this is a view along Church View with St Mary The Virgin Church at the far end. Today, there is a path on the right-hand side but here, there is an open ditch with large flag stones crossing it to give access...

Bampton Community Archive

New Surgery in Landells, 1990

  • BCA - 2019.1708
  • Item
  • 1990

The greenfield site where the new Bampton Surgery was to be built in Landells in 1990 and when the building work had begun. The spire of St Mary The Virgin is just visible and the building on the left is Manor Cottage, one of the oldest houses in...

Bampton Community Archive

£4.3 million lottery grant for Kelmscott Manor

  • BCA - 2019.1680
  • Item
  • October 2018

Kelmscott Manor has been awarded £4.3 million by the National Lottery's Heritage Lottery Fund to save the building from dilapidation and to construct new facilities. the house was the retreat of influential designer William Morris fro 1871 t...

Bampton Community Archive

Church View pre 1970

  • BCA - 2019.1673
  • Item
  • c1950

This is Church View looking north with the spire of St Mary The Virgin church visible at the far end. There is an open ditch running along on the right with large slabs over to allow access to each property.Richard Buckingham grew up on the stree...

Bampton Community Archive

Paths & roads unfinished at Oakwood Gate, some repaired more than once

  • BCA - 2018.1654
  • Item
  • December 11th 2018

Some footpaths and sections of road at Oakwood Gate, built by Cala Homes off New Road have either never been made up or have been repaired more than once. The path by the side of the field leading to the school is still to be done and people have...

Bampton Community Archive

Lime Tree House, High Street

  • BCA - 2018.1639
  • Item
  • twentieth century

Lime Tree House in the High Street was a two-story building with a loft conversion. Today, it is much extended and has become Rosebank Care Home with a very high rating

Bampton Community Archive

Re-opening of the Town Hall after refurbishment 1972

  • BCA - 2018.1614
  • Item
  • August 1972

There are several newspaper items with people talking about the best use for the Town Hall once it is refurbished and then the Witney Gazette article documenting the official re-opening in August 1972 by Mrs M. F. Davey, accompanied by Lloyd Hughe...

Bampton Community Archive

Tony Allam baking the last batches of bread before Constables closed c1981

  • BCA - 2017.538
  • Item
  • c1981

Tony Allam was the baker for Mrs Constable for many years. The shop was by the roundabout opposite The Talbot and is now the Chinese takeaway called Mark's Kitchen. These photographs show the beautiful ovens and all the surrounding area.Tre...

Bampton Community Archive

Research into Anglo Saxon Bampton by Dr John Blair 1988

  • BCA - 2018.1588
  • Item
  • 1988

In 1988 Dr John Blair from Queen Anne's College Oxford, gave a series of talks in Bampton Town Hall and produced this interim publication to go with one of his talks. He's special interest is Anglo-Saxon Bampton.

Bampton Community Archive

The Grange, early twentieth century

  • BCA - 2018.1575
  • Item
  • early twentieth century

These six photographs were taken inside the Grange and around the garden early in the twentieth century.A thatched summer house.Part of the back of the Grange with the large glass house just showing on the right.A tiny portion of the garden with a...

Bampton Community Archive

The Wilkinson Brothers George and William, Architects

  • BCA - 2018.1525
  • Item
  • early C19th

George and William Wilkinson were born in Witney in the early C19th . George designed the Town Hall in Bampton and the first brick was laid in 1838. William designed the delightful little church at Lew and the Randolph Hotel in Oxford and he als...

Bampton Community Archive

Anglo-Saxon Bampton. Research paper 1988 by Dr John Blair

  • BCA - 2018.1523
  • Item
  • 1988

In 1988 Dr John Blair gave a series of talks in the Town Hall and this publication is from one of these talks. Anglo-Saxon Bampton. Research paper 1988 by Dr John Blair

Bampton Community Archive

Shops and businesses in and around the Market Square

  • BCA - 2018.1449
  • Item
  • 1884 to 2016

1k. Cheapside can be seen from outside the west side of the Town Hall. The date is pre-1907 because Eton Villas had yet to be built in place of the thatched building in the centre of the picture. The George and Dragon inn is there as is Goodman...

Bampton Community Archive

Demolition of Market Square Garage & building of Thornberry Flats

  • BCA - 2018.1485
  • Item
  • 1998-2001

Adrian Simmonds put on an Exhibition in the Vesey room which documented the demolition of the Market Square Garage and the building of Thornberry Flats. The text below is Adrian's and was part of his exhibition.The demolition of Market Squar...

Bampton Community Archive

Results 1 to 100 of 244