Showing 198 results

Archival description
Agriculture and Farming
Print preview View:

196 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Document detailing the sale of Calais Farm in 1984

  • BCA - 2014.1368
  • Item
  • 1984

A PDF document of 9 pages detailing the sale of Calais Farm in 1984 by Moore, Allen and Innocent for Mr Bryan Stevens. About 185 acres freehold with vacant possession for sale by private treaty as a whole or in six lots

Nik Stanbridge

Ham Court farmhouse & barns seen from the Bampton-Clanfield Road

  • BCA - 2017.1098
  • Item
  • 2010

This is a picture of Ham Court farmhouse and the great barn seen from the Bampton-Clanfield road by the two dwellings just before reaching the 30mph sign, before alterations to the barn by the present owners Emma Bridgewater.

Bampton Community Archive

Milk churn stand outside Weald Farm, Weald Street

  • BCA - 2017.1099
  • Item
  • 2008

A milk churn stand outside Weald Farm in Weald Street, a left-over from the days when milk was collected in churns and not a bulk tanker.

Bampton Community Archive

Improving access to Oxfordshire's countryside and green spaces

  • BCA - 2017.1138
  • Item
  • May 2017

TOE2 is Oxfordshire’s independent environmental funder, supporting projects that make real and lasting improvements to the environment and to the lives of local people. TOE2, a charity and a notfor-profit company, has worked in partnership with OCC for several years to improve access to rights of way and green spaces across the county, supporting the aims of the Oxfordshire Rights of Way Improvement Plan

Bampton Community Archive

The Development of Printed Maps of Oxfordshire - From GOUGH to Google

  • BCA - 2017.371
  • Item
  • 1477 - 1877

In October 2012 the Bampton Environmental Watch Group had a wonderful talk given by John Leighfield on the history of maps and in particular maps of Oxfordshire and Bampton. It was very interesting to note that the first maps of Bampton showed the rivers and streams but no roads, showing the importance of waterways. It really is worth looking at the maps of Bampton carefully, you'll see just how old some buildings are, where the mill was in Bampton and Kerwoods Yard which was one area for the very poor with dwellings that had no land with them, they afforded the occupier a roof as opposed to 'the park bench' but no land on which to produce any food. It's referred to in early census forms and people come to Bampton asking where it is - it's on page 15 of this pdf

Bampton Community Archive

Sales brochure for Ham Court 2010

  • BCA - 2017.528
  • Item
  • 2010

Ham Court along with the barns and outbuildings plus 22 acres was put up for sale by Jesus College Oxford in 2010 and was bought by Emma Bridgewater. This is the sales brochure and I'm sorry to say the scanned versions given to me clearly had something wrong with the colour but the text is perfect. The diagrams of the first and second floor are very interesting. See also entry 2017.529

Nik Stanbridge

Report on the Survey & Plan of Bampton by M W Robinson, County Planning Officer October 1966

  • BCA - 2017.532
  • Item
  • 1966

This report on the Survey & Plan of Bampton was done under the guidance of M W Robinson FRICS MTPI in October 1966. It makes very interesting reading and the conclusions are as relevant today as they were then. The topics covered are 1. Population 2. Situation 3. Character 4. The people 5. Shopping 6. Principal road connections 7. Schools 8. Open spaces 9. Social facilities, Public Services etc 10. Surface water drainage 11. Sewage disposal 12. Water supply and much more. It makes a very interesting read particularly in the light of all the dwellings that have been built here since October 1966, all those being built now (Jan 2017) and those being proposed when considering the access into Bampton has not been improved yet in 1966 one of the conclusions states was that Bampton could not take further development, a by-pass was not possible and no further space for parking other than possibly in Church Street could be made. Houses have since been built on the land in Church Street

Nik Stanbridge

Documents relating to Bampton Among Archives of D&C in Exeter, compiles by Lloyd Hughes Owens

  • BCA - 2017.687
  • Item
  • 1247 - 1963

These are a collection of records compiled by Lloyd Hughes Owens and cover many aspects of local life and people. 1247 local tithes; 1275 extract from Quo Warranto Roll concerning tenures; 1288 Bond of obligation to pay rent for Vicars' house; 1262 Grant of land in Chimney; 1307-8 Confirmation of the rights of the D & C to manorial privilege in Bampton; 1318 Composition concerning common pasture; 1308-19 Records in suit - depositions of witnesses etc - concerning the tithes of Standlake and concerning the burial of the people of Standlake in Bampton parish church; 1360 Judgement in a suit against the chaplain of Standlake; 1406 Memoranda about the burials of the people of Standlake and Herdwyck away from Bampton parish church; 1445 Copy of an earlier grant, exemplified by Edmund Lacy, bishop of Exeter by the Bishop of Lincoln of portions of the parish church of Bampton to the D & C of Exeter; mid 15th century Draft letter recommending Richard Daber as Vicar of Bampton; late 15th century Group of letters about the manor of Bampton, addressed to the bailiff of the manor; 1503-4 Reference to the rebuilding of the chancel of Bampton church; Repairs made in 1496 at a cost of £20 in the accounts spread over 20 years; late 15th century? Reference to a suit between the Earl of Shrewsbury and the D & C concerning common of pasture in Bampton; 1670 Certificate by Bishop of Oxford re William Hodge's resignation of the vicarage; 1691 Receipt by Mr Veysey for the court rolls of Bampton. There is much more information in this collection of papers.

Bampton Community Archive

The Morris Clown, previously The New Inn and originally The George

  • BCA - 2018.1443
  • Item
  • late C19th early C20th

The pub in the High Street named The Morris Clown (as at 2018) began life as The George. Steve the present landlord found the ancient wooden name board in the cellar but it fell to dust when he tried to lift it. A long time ago it became the New Inn as seen in the first photograph which is at least pre 1920 because the cottage at the est end of the Market Square is still standing and that was pulled down to make way for the War Memorial. Over the door can be seen a sign which says Clinch's Entire Eagle Brewery, Witney. There is another line underneath which sadly is not readable. The lower board says Commercial Inn, Lila Clack and two more lines of text which I can't read. The opposite side of the road is the department store owned by T. W. Pembrey which ran the length of present day No7 High Street, Lesta House, Strawberry Cottage and across Bushey Row, then called New Inn Street the shop on the corner. On the end wall of the New Inn on the third picture text can be seen which in part says Commercial something and Posting House. A little of this lettering can still be seen in 2018. What was Pembrey's is now Busby's department store. Note the thatched hay rick camera side of Lime Tree House. Thatching hay ricks kept the hay in good condition and shed the rain off; rick thatching was a specialist job and in Bampton Ben Tanner and his brother were particularly skilled and Reg Rouse was also.

Nik Stanbridge

Map of Bampton Estate at 1789

  • BCA - 2019.1890
  • Item
  • 1789

This map shows the Bampton Estates at 1789. This is before the fields were enclosed and the names of the people who farmed the strips or the name of the field area are on the map. The Quies fields are each side of the Bampton to Brize Norton road, just north of what is now Hobbs Buildings.
The Clanfield to Bampton road is showing top to bottom on the map whereas it really runs east west, so you need to get your head around that, literally.
What we now call Welcome Way is called Wiltham Way - it runs south from Cowleaze Corner into Weald.
Weald Common Meadow was south of what we now think of as the area containing the two Bampton Business Parks.
The Bampton to Buckland road is showing going left to right on the map when it actually runs NW to SE; it had a turnpike.

Bampton Community Archive

Results 1 to 10 of 198