Showing 48 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Architecture, Housing and Buildings
Print preview View:

48 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Radcot Bridge 1875

  • BCA - 2022.3738
  • Item
  • 1876

Witney Gazette April 2nd 2014. The article contains a really good picture of Radcot Bridge taken in 1875 by Henry Taunt. An interesting article about the bridge and old trade routes. Well worth the read.

Janet Rouse

Sales brochure for Weald Manor 1880 and again 1886

  • BCA - 2019.1953
  • Item
  • 1880 1886

Sale notice for Weald Manor on June 4th 1880 and another sale noticeFreehold & Tithe-Free pasture & arable land for sale August 2nd 1886

Bampton Community Archive

Second Edition 1899. Ordnance Survey Map Central Bampton east towards Aston

  • BCA - 2022.3831
  • Series
  • 1899

First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost.
Names of people owning fields

Mr. Wilkins
JG Andrews Trustees
FF Southby
Stevens of Calais Farm
WW Shepherd
Mr Rose
Mr Carter
Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400
Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700
L Dafter
Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275

Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows:
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Calais Farm
Cheapside
Church Street
Fishers Bridge
Manor Cottage
Manor House
New Inn Lane
Primrose Cottages
Swan Inn
The Grange

Janet Westman

Sale of 2 dwellings in Church Street 1908

  • BCA - 2019.2203
  • Item
  • 1908

To be sold by auction byRichard Gillettat the Talbot hotel in Bampton on Wednesday March 4th 1908, by order of the trustees under the will of the late George Oakey, and under condition to be then and there produced

Bampton Community Archive

Ordnance Survey Map dated 1922 Grafton to Chimney including villages

  • BCA - 2022.3830
  • Item
  • 1922

Ordnance Survey Map Dated 1922. showing villages from Grafton Clanfield, Alvescot, Bampton south to Thames, Aston, Chimney
There are pencil notes on the map difficult to read'
The places printed on map are as follows
Bampton
Baptist Chapel
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Broad Street
Broad Street
Calais Farm
Castle remains
Cheapside
Church Lane
Churchgate House
Coalpit Farm
Deanery Farm
Elephant and Castle
Fishers Bridge
Gas Works
Ham Court
Highmoor Brook
Lady Well
Manor Cottage
Manor House
Mill Barn
Mill Bridge
Mount Owen Farm
New Inn Lane
Old Gravel Pit
Plantation
Primrose Cottages
Sandford Villa
Swan Inn
The Grange
Vicarage
Water Tower
Weald Manor House
Windmill House
Wrights hill
Lower Haddon Farm
Ven Bridge
Elmwood House

Alvescot
Alvescot House
Alvescot Lodge
Alvescot Mill
Alvescot Station
Bates Land Farm
Buxhill Farm
Manor Farm Alvescot
Milestone Road
Old Chapel Pit
Plough Inn
Rectory Farm
Red Lion PH
Royal George PH
Shield Farm
Smithy
St Peters Church
The Rectory
Vine Cottage

Clanfield
Little Clanfield
Grafton Green Farm
Little Clanfield Mill
Manor Farm

Radcot
Radcot New Buildings
Langley Lane
Langford Brook
Ashton Pill Bridge
Swan Inn
Cradle Bridge (Foot)
Radcot Bridge
River Thames
Entrenchment The Garrison
Towing Path
Radcot Lock
Sharney Brook
Burroway Brook
Burroway Bridge
Sharney Bridge
River Thames or Isis
Old Mans Bridge

Clanfield
Manor Farm
Broadwell Brook
Chestlion Farm
Clanfield Weir Farm
Engineering Work
Friar's Court Monastry
Pound Lane
St Stephens
Windmill Farm

Black Bourton
East Gloucestershire Branch Railway
Garsons Copse
High House
Manor Farm
Moat House
St Marys Church
Vicarage
Corn Mill
Lower Farm

Buckland Road
Boat House
Buckland Marsh
Great Brook
Isle of Wight Bridge
Meadow Farm
Tadpole Bridge
Tenfoot Bridge

Aston, Cote and Chimney
Aston House
Bull Inn
Bull Street
Cote House
Cote Lodge
Duckend Farm
Girls Training Home
Ham Lane
Kingsway Farm
North Street
Old Clay Pit
St James Church

Yelford
Claywell Farm
Elmbank
Manor Farm
Newhouse Farm
Rickless Hill
St Swithins Church
Yelford Manor
Ditcham Wood
Rushey Butts
Lew Lodge

Janet Westman

Elephant & Castle Inn pre fire of 1958 and after

  • BCA - 2022.3382
  • Series
  • 1930 1990

The Elephant and Castle Inn was a thatched building until fire ripped through it September 30th 1958. The following day firemen Son Townsend from Castle View farm and Cyril Weeks from the Horse Shoe went to help clear up and in the photo the two boys are also from the Horse Shoe Inn in Bampton.
At one time in late C20th Joan and Lionel were the landlord and landlady and they can be seen behind the bar with Dora Townsend, sister of Son the fireman.
The Elephant & Castle Inn after the fire in September 1958. It was started by a rocket firework let off well before bonfire night. People with thatched roofs used to soak them with a hose pipe before the evening on a bonfire night if it hadn't rained.
The Elephant and Castle in Bridge Street before the fire in 1958 after which it was rebuilt with a tiled roof. A protective wall was built in front of it in the 1970s to stop people from spilling out and straight on to the road. The handsome Elm tree in the background was lost to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1970s.
The Elephant and Castle Inn on Bridge Street.
A horse and cart outside the Elephant & Castle on Bridge Street, circa 1940s Elephant and Castle date unknown but a fire destroyed the roof in 1958 and was replaced with stone tiles. [postcard].
Elephant and Castle with Mrs Penny at the door
Ducks on Mill Green with Bridge House on the left next to The Elephant and Castle in the background.
Joan & Lionel, landlords of the Elephant & Castle, with Dora Townsend in the middle
Firemen clearing up Sept 30th 1958 after the fire at the Elephant and Castle. Son Townsend from across the road at Castle Farm and Cyril Weeks. The two boys from the Horse Shoe Inn.
The Elephant and Castle Inn with no wall in front to stop people falling out of the door straight into the road in 1965. The two bay windows have also gone now.

Janet Rouse

Results 1 to 10 of 48