Showing 30 results

Archival description
Pubs and Inns
Print preview View:

28 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Postcard to Mrs W J Johnson September 28th 1905.

  • BCA - 2017.1134
  • Item
  • September 28th 1905

Picture postcard across the east end of the Market Square showing part of the Town Hall, The Drapers, The Talbot and Hythe House. It is addressed to Mrs W. J. Johnson at Syringa Cottage in Aston post dated September 28th 1905

Bampton Community Archive

Morris Men outside the Elephant & Castle c1924

  • BCA - 2020.2338
  • Item
  • 1924 or 1925

Bampton Morris dancers c1924/5 outside the Elephant & Castle.

The sign over the pub door says Posting House, Horses, Carriages, Brakes. Personal attention given, Albert Townsend. The 3rd and 4th lines are hard to read which is a pity but it looks like 'For Hire All Trains Met On The Shortest Notice.

On 23rd September 1935 the Townsend family moved across the road to Castle View and made a farm of it having much more room to fatten more pigs.

Bampton Community Archive

Bampton has a Shirt Race around its 11 pubs. May 7th 1959

  • BCA - 2022.3820
  • Item
  • May 7th 1958

While the title of this piece refers to the Shirt Race, which started as a celebration of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, this articles talks about many people and is a lovely snapshot of social life in Bampton in 1959. People mentioned include:-

Albert Chandlers, saddler and leather worker and chairman of the parish council and still working hard at his leather work aged 81. Reference is made to the 100 or so council houses built in Weald since the war but there have been no council houses built in Weald, they were along New Road and the area north of New Road.

Percival O Money, "bespoke and surgical boot maker where everything was done by hand, even stitching when repairing footwear. Mr Money was a founding member of the debating society and secretary of the bowls club (which was in the grounds of Weald Manor.)

John Quick, one of the founder member of the SPAJERS - The Society for Ancient Junketer - who organise the Great Shirt Race and other events to raise money for Bampton's senior citizens while providing fun for all.

Mr & Mrs Arthur Scott-Norman licensee of the Elephant and Castle Inn in Bridge Street, knew each other in their school days then bumped into each other again in Tanganyika, never to be parted again. During the war Mr Scott-Norman was in the RAF and later in the Colonial office in Dar-es-Salaam and Mrs Scott-Norman was matron of the Aga Khan Hospital in Dar-es-Salaam.

There is much more of interest in the articel.

Janet Rouse

Mr & Mrs Harry Sollis from The Swan Inn, Buckland Road

  • BCA - 2019.1894
  • Item
  • c1951-1964

Mr & Mrs Harry Sollis owned and ran the Swan Inn in Buckland road for many years. In the last few years, Mrs Sollis ran it as a widow. Emmie Papworth, nee Bishop was a relative and adored Mrs Sollis; Emmie is seen with her in two of these pictures and her son Tom is with them in one of them. Mrs Sollis eventually sold The Swan by auction October 1st 1964; it was bought by Tim Tomlins.

Bampton Community Archive

The New Inn is renamed The Morris Clown

  • BCA - 2021.2611
  • Item
  • 1973

In 1973 the New Inn on Bampton's High Street was re-named The Morris Clown.
It was a very contentious issue because the jester in the Bampton Morris has never been called a Clown, always a Fool. That piece of history cut no mustard with the Brewery, Courage (Central) which is a pity. Now 48 years on, this perceived poorly renaming is hardly ever mentioned but there are still those who feel the name should be corrected.

Nik Stanbridge

The Eagle Inn, Church View

  • BCA - 2021.2555
  • Item
  • 1980s

The Eagle Inn in Church View, Sadly, it closed in January 1992. It was the head quarters of the Bampton Traditional Morris Men when Francis Shergold was squire of the side. It was a happy place with darts, aunt sally, a garden and a one time a piano in the bar.

Bampton Community Archive

Results 1 to 10 of 30