Showing 1 results

Archival description
Market Square Architecture, Housing and Buildings
Print preview View:

1 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Bell Cottage briefly visible from the Market Square

  • BCA - 2020.2449
  • Item
  • 1998

This picture is of Bell Cottage which was visible briefly across the Market Square after Market Square Garage was completely removed and before Thornberry Flats were built on the site. The people living in the cottage at the time couldn't wait for the flats to go up to regain their privacy.
The little lane, known by long-time locals as 'Back of The Bell' got its name from the Bell Inn which used to be where the Village Hall stands today. The Inn was bought by three ladies in 1923 for conversion into the WI Hall. In the 1980s the WI could no longer afford the upkeep of the building and it became the Village Hall ... next to the Town Hall.

Bampton Community Archive