- 1999 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Newspaper cuttings from the Oxford Times 1999.
The thatched eastern end of Knapps farmhouse was originally built as a timber framed medieval hall in the C14th. The stone walled section built under a slate and thatched roof was built in the C17th and C18th.
It was originally the farmhouse of Gulliver's Farm, granted to William Golafre before 1341. In 1608 the farm was leased to Sir Laurence Tanfield, chief baron on the exchequer and remained part of the Aston Manor Estate until it was sold separately probably in the early 20th century.