Item BCA - 2019.2172 - Various place where the Post Office has been in Bampto

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

BCA - 2019.2172

Title

Various place where the Post Office has been in Bampto

Date(s)

  • 1875 2019 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

pdf of 11 photographs

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Waterloo House in Broad Street was the first place in Bampton to have anything to do with mail; it was a receiving office only and that was in the C19th.
Later in the C19th Martin's Printing Works on the west side of the Market Square became a Post Office where letters could be both delivered and posted and other business of a post office that we would expect today was conducted.
It then moved to T. W. Pembrey's in the High Street. Initially this shop consisted of the thatched house which today is a private dwelling called Strawberry Cottage, the adjoining property called Lesta House and it was in this latter part of the shop where they first had the post office. The bought the adjoining property which is No7 High Street and moved the Post Office business to this part and you can see the words Post Office first on Lesta House and then on No7. Pembrey's department store also included the shop across the road which we now call Bushey Row but was then called New Inn Lane. Pembrey's was a department store which sold just about everything.
Mr Busby then bought the business and the post office moved to Wheelgate House in 1918 and in 1926 Mrs Reynolds ran the post office, still at Wheelgate House where it stayed until 1972.
The Wheat Sheaf Inn in Bridge Street closed and re-opened as the Post Office in 1972 run by Les and Stella King, the same couple who had run Kings of Bampton but there was never a PO in Kings of Bampton.
In 2010 the PO in Bridge Street closed when the people who owned the building wanted the whole of it for their private use and the PO moved to its present site (at least as at 2019) in the middle room of the Town Hall.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places