The Paddocks has permission for 8 plots with one static and one travelling caravan supposed to be on each plot. These articles detail how this has been breached. It also reports on the death of Donna Smith at the site who had been placed in a car and left there all night and then all day on one of the hottest days of the year.
This newspaper cutting is from April 1st 1983. The anniversary of the Women's League was celebrated by joining with the Mothers' Union for prayers and a celebration tea. The PTA held a bazaar and raised £75 for their funds which in 1983 was a good amount of money. The same day head teacher Malcolm Mason took some of the school's boy to Wembley to see the schoolboys' match against Germany. The wives club monthly meeting had a special speaker called Mr Blue who talked about colour in the home; he had previously worked on the interior of Blenheim Palace.
In December 2014, pupils from Bampton Primary School and the Ladybird Nursery planted trees to commemorate the 40th year of the Tree Council's National Tree Week. In the picture are Lisa Lane with three year olds Ethan Walsh and Nala Hunt. The head teacher, Carol Phillips was delighted to take part and bring to children's awareness sustainability and ecological environments.
For several years, two shows a year were put on in the Village Hall and this flyer is for one of them. It was for Bowjangles who gave a wonderfully skilful and funny evening's entertainment in the Village Hall Saturday September 29th 2012.
Freda Daniels was not quite 3 years old when she was dressed up to sell poppies in 1929. She was born April 13th 1927. The photograph of her sitting has '3 years old' written on the back. When she married she became Mrs Freda Bradley.
This letter, dated November 1st 1944 was send by Stan Smith's commanding officer to Stan's father informing him that Stan was missing but may be a POW. He was a POW and near the end of the was became one of the POWs who took part in the what became known as the Long March. They were marched from East Germany keeping ahead of the advancing Russians. Stan walked almost 1,000 miles. He survived.
This picture is of Bell Cottage which was visible briefly across the Market Square after Market Square Garage was completely removed and before Thornberry Flats were built on the site. The people living in the cottage at the time couldn't wait for the flats to go up to regain their privacy. The little lane, known by long-time locals as 'Back of The Bell' got its name from the Bell Inn which used to be where the Village Hall stands today. The Inn was bought by three ladies in 1923 for conversion into the WI Hall. In the 1980s the WI could no longer afford the upkeep of the building and it became the Village Hall ... next to the Town Hall.