Second of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Black Bourton, Cowleaze Corner to Central Bampton and shows the following places Manor House Mill Bridge Millgreen Terrace New Inn Lane Plantation Sandford Villa Swan Inn The Grange Trinity Vicarage Weald Manor House
First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost. Names of people owning fields
Mr. Wilkins JG Andrews Trustees FF Southby Stevens of Calais Farm WW Shepherd Mr Rose Mr Carter Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400 Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700 L Dafter Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275
Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows: Beam Cottage Bridge Street Calais Farm Cheapside Church Street Fishers Bridge Manor Cottage Manor House New Inn Lane Primrose Cottages Swan Inn The Grange
The Elephant and Castle Inn was a thatched building until fire ripped through it September 30th 1958. The following day firemen Son Townsend from Castle View farm and Cyril Weeks from the Horse Shoe went to help clear up and in the photo the two boys are also from the Horse Shoe Inn in Bampton. At one time in late C20th Joan and Lionel were the landlord and landlady and they can be seen behind the bar with Dora Townsend, sister of Son the fireman. The Elephant & Castle Inn after the fire in September 1958. It was started by a rocket firework let off well before bonfire night. People with thatched roofs used to soak them with a hose pipe before the evening on a bonfire night if it hadn't rained. The Elephant and Castle in Bridge Street before the fire in 1958 after which it was rebuilt with a tiled roof. A protective wall was built in front of it in the 1970s to stop people from spilling out and straight on to the road. The handsome Elm tree in the background was lost to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1970s. The Elephant and Castle Inn on Bridge Street. A horse and cart outside the Elephant & Castle on Bridge Street, circa 1940s Elephant and Castle date unknown but a fire destroyed the roof in 1958 and was replaced with stone tiles. [postcard]. Elephant and Castle with Mrs Penny at the door Ducks on Mill Green with Bridge House on the left next to The Elephant and Castle in the background. Joan & Lionel, landlords of the Elephant & Castle, with Dora Townsend in the middle Firemen clearing up Sept 30th 1958 after the fire at the Elephant and Castle. Son Townsend from across the road at Castle Farm and Cyril Weeks. The two boys from the Horse Shoe Inn. The Elephant and Castle Inn with no wall in front to stop people falling out of the door straight into the road in 1965. The two bay windows have also gone now.