Showing 11 results

Archival description
Series
Print preview View:

9 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Cycle ride to raise need for cycle path from Bampton to The Trout along Buckland Road, 1999

  • BCA - 2022.3604
  • Series
  • 1999

The Trout part way along the road from Bampton to Buckland is a very popular eating place. It is on the Thames and many fishermen and women have the right to have a rod there and they go to the pub, eat and fish. A cycle path would have been a wonderful addition to safe riding and these pictures are taken from scanned black and white negatives.

Riders included:

  • Jo Lewington
  • Dr Matthew Perry & wife Carole
  • Freda Bradley
  • Bishop Paul Burroughs

Janet Rouse

Elephant & Castle Inn pre fire of 1958 and after

  • BCA - 2022.3382
  • Series
  • 1930 1990

The Elephant and Castle Inn was a thatched building until fire ripped through it September 30th 1958. The following day firemen Son Townsend from Castle View farm and Cyril Weeks from the Horse Shoe went to help clear up and in the photo the two boys are also from the Horse Shoe Inn in Bampton.
At one time in late C20th Joan and Lionel were the landlord and landlady and they can be seen behind the bar with Dora Townsend, sister of Son the fireman.
The Elephant & Castle Inn after the fire in September 1958. It was started by a rocket firework let off well before bonfire night. People with thatched roofs used to soak them with a hose pipe before the evening on a bonfire night if it hadn't rained.
The Elephant and Castle in Bridge Street before the fire in 1958 after which it was rebuilt with a tiled roof. A protective wall was built in front of it in the 1970s to stop people from spilling out and straight on to the road. The handsome Elm tree in the background was lost to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1970s.
The Elephant and Castle Inn on Bridge Street.
A horse and cart outside the Elephant & Castle on Bridge Street, circa 1940s Elephant and Castle date unknown but a fire destroyed the roof in 1958 and was replaced with stone tiles. [postcard].
Elephant and Castle with Mrs Penny at the door
Ducks on Mill Green with Bridge House on the left next to The Elephant and Castle in the background.
Joan & Lionel, landlords of the Elephant & Castle, with Dora Townsend in the middle
Firemen clearing up Sept 30th 1958 after the fire at the Elephant and Castle. Son Townsend from across the road at Castle Farm and Cyril Weeks. The two boys from the Horse Shoe Inn.
The Elephant and Castle Inn with no wall in front to stop people falling out of the door straight into the road in 1965. The two bay windows have also gone now.

Janet Rouse

Flower Garlands in 2019

  • BCA - 2022.3606
  • Series
  • 2019

The last year we had a Flower Garland competition before Covid 19 put a temporary stop to it.
Ariah and Paisley Neatham 2019 (with the red coat and hood) first picture with Dawn Newland and the second one with Ruth Wheeler.
Third picture with the same two children plus Archie Comely and Ella Connors.

Janet Rouse

Hilda Kent Photographs of Bush Club table decorations

  • BCA - 2022.3851
  • Series
  • 2000?

Booklet produced by Hilda Kent, with photographs of delightful table decorations produced by Bush Club foyer at the Horsa Building, in the old School/Community Centre

Janet Westman

Hilda Kent - The Story of Elsa

  • BCA - 2022.3850
  • Series
  • 1990

Document written by Hilda Kent relaying the story of a dog called Elsa

Janet Westman

Second Edition 1899. Ordnance Survey Map Central Bampton east towards Aston

  • BCA - 2022.3831
  • Series
  • 1899

First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost.
Names of people owning fields

Mr. Wilkins
JG Andrews Trustees
FF Southby
Stevens of Calais Farm
WW Shepherd
Mr Rose
Mr Carter
Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400
Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700
L Dafter
Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275

Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows:
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Calais Farm
Cheapside
Church Street
Fishers Bridge
Manor Cottage
Manor House
New Inn Lane
Primrose Cottages
Swan Inn
The Grange

Janet Westman

Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Map Mt Owen Rd, west towards Lew

  • BCA - 2022.3832
  • Series
  • 1899

Third of 3 Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps Showing Mount Owen Road towards Lew. There are some pencil notes and some fields are coloured yellow.
The following places are shown
Lew Lodge
Coalpit Farm
Mount Owen Farm
Ditcham Wood
Rushey Butts

Janet Westman

Results 1 to 10 of 11