Showing 1649 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

1608 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Morris Dancing in the Market Square 1897

  • BCA - 2021.2561
  • Item
  • 1897

This is one of the earliest photograph of the Bampton Morris Men taken in 1897, Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee year.
The dancers are
George Wells/Taylor
Thomas William Tanner
Joseph Rouse
Robert Dixey
George Dixey
James Dewe
Charles Henry Tanner, ragman
Henry Radband, sword carrier
William Nathan Wells, fool, known as Jingy
Richard Decimus Butler, musician

Bampton Community Archive

2nd edition maps of 1899 Bampton, Black Bourton, Mt Owen Road

  • BCA - 2020.2393
  • Item
  • 1899

These three maps are all labelled as 2nd edition 1899. They cover the area Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Black Bourton south to Cowleaze Corner, east to Elephant & Castle in Bridge Street and Mt Owen Rd, west to road going up to Lew now called Station Road.
They not only show the buildings but someone has written on in pencil when certain plots were sold and to whom.
Interesting to see the clear fish-farming area with the Deanery then called Deanery Farm, Cobb House simply called Vicarage, Churchgate House called Trinity Vicarage. The third vicarage is today called Kilmore House and is almost opposite the East window of St. Mary's.
What today is called Bridge Street was then called Mill Street and the mill was just to the left of path to Sandford Field from Bridge St. The legend is the mill wheel was buried in the plot to the left of the brook walking to the field from Bridge St and the tree there today was planted at its centre.

Bampton Community Archive

Second Edition 1899. Ordnance Survey Map Central Bampton east towards Aston

  • BCA - 2022.3831
  • Series
  • 1899

First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost.
Names of people owning fields

Mr. Wilkins
JG Andrews Trustees
FF Southby
Stevens of Calais Farm
WW Shepherd
Mr Rose
Mr Carter
Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400
Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700
L Dafter
Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275

Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows:
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Calais Farm
Cheapside
Church Street
Fishers Bridge
Manor Cottage
Manor House
New Inn Lane
Primrose Cottages
Swan Inn
The Grange

Janet Westman

Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Map Mt Owen Rd, west towards Lew

  • BCA - 2022.3832
  • Series
  • 1899

Third of 3 Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps Showing Mount Owen Road towards Lew. There are some pencil notes and some fields are coloured yellow.
The following places are shown
Lew Lodge
Coalpit Farm
Mount Owen Farm
Ditcham Wood
Rushey Butts

Janet Westman

Ted Dixey and his family

  • BCA - 2017.846
  • Item
  • c1900

Ted Dixey was known to most Bamptonians as a bellringer and Morris dancer. These are photograph of his maternal grandparents, his sister and husband Robert Ferguson, of Ted himself and his fiance of 40 years, Sylvia.

Bampton Community Archive

Results 31 to 40 of 1649