'Go Thou and Do Likewise' is on the top of the banner of the Friendly Society. On Hospital Sunday the members walked from their headquarters in one of the inns to St Mary's for a service and in this picture, they are seen leaving after the annual service. Before the days of the National Health Service, those who could, paid into 'the club' ie the Friendly Society and if they were ill and could not work, sufficient money was provided for the family to buy food. It was literally a life saver for them. The National Health Service came into being July 5th 1948. 1a Foresters A photograph of the Foresters with their banner outside Oathurst, now called Rosebank Nursing Home. Bampton’s Brass band is with them. People paid into clubs like the Foresters then, if they were unable to work, the club kept them from starving. This was before the welfare state came into being and so these friendly societies were very important.
In September 2008 Graham Newman put together an interesting exhibition about Oliver Onesipherous Collett who was a shop keeper, watch maker and repairer but he also built a car in 2001-2 which he called the Bampton Voiturette.
Balance Sheet showing cost and donations for the rehanging of the Bells at St Mary's Church in 1903. The work was carried out by Messrs Webb and Bennett of Kidlington and was supervised by Rev FE Robinson Master of the Oxfordshire Guild of Ringers Mr T Carter the Vicar was W K Hampshire and W J Wolff the Auditor Donations came from: P Southby Esq Miss Southby (the late) F. Staples-Browne Esq Mrs Staples-Browne Mrs Horman Fisher F D Hunt Esq W Lindup Esq The Vicar A C Hord Esq (Cleveland) ER Ireland Blackburne E Duncan Esq Jesus College Oxford Mr John White HC Hampshire (Manor Cottage) The Misses Hampshire The Ven the Archdeacon of Oxford Dr J P Atkinson Mrs Hunt (S. Stephens) Mrs Miles Rev R W Southby Mrs Emmett per Staples Browne Esq Miss Blackburne (Chester) Mr Gerring Snr N R H Bullen Esq VC Blyth Esq Mr H Benfield Mr Theophilus Carter Rev H and Mrs Hunt Miss Moore Mrs Pochin Dr H Prall Mrs. Prall Mrs Rivers Mr JW Wright Mrt R. Hobbs Miss Durrant Hunt Captain Hunt RN Rev HF Pinder Mr and Mrs Richens Mr and Mrs Richens Mr Fred Green The Ringers Mr. Shuffrey Mrs G. Gerring Mr R. Rose Mrs Call (Visitor) Mr. Dutton Messrs Green and Sons Miss G Hampshire Captain R. Hoare Miss M. Archer Houblon Reginald Hunt Esq Mr and Mrs Matthews and Daughters Mr Mills Miss Scott Mr R C Smith Mrs Willis Mr W V Williams Mr Ravenor Mr John Tanner Miss Baker Mr Beard Mr Bryant Mr Constable Miss K Early Mrs French (The Plough) Miss Alice Hunt Mr Johnson Miss Luckett Mr Plaster Mr Reade Witney Ringers Mr Taunt Mr R. Taunt Mrs Hattie Twichell Mrs Baker Miss Mary Berry Mrs Broad Mr Bryant Mrs Clack (New Inn) Fanny Clack Miss B Duncan Mrs Durrant Mrs French (The Plough) Miss Gerring Mrs Gillett (Haddon) Miss Gray Mr Ted Green The Misses Hampshire Miss Hunt Miss Durrant Hunt Miss S Hill Mrs James Mrs Cyril Jenkyn Miss Launchbury Miss Lawrence Mss Lindup Mr Ernest Martin Mr W Matthews Mr Mills Mrs Neal Mrs Norman Mrs Rose Miss E Shepherd Miss Stone H S Tanner Mrs Taunt Mrs Taylor Mrs Templer Mrs Townsend (The Beam) Mrs Townsend (The Eagle) Miss Wallis Mrs Walton Mrs Joh White Miss K Wilkins Mr WV Williams Miss Eva Williams Mrs Willis Miss Vera Willis Mrs Wix Mr Wiltshire Mrs Wolff
Picture postcard across the east end of the Market Square showing part of the Town Hall, The Drapers, The Talbot and Hythe House. It is addressed to Mrs W. J. Johnson at Syringa Cottage in Aston post dated September 28th 1905