Showing 8 results

Archival description
Bridge Street Image Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

8 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Emmie Papworth, post lady

  • BCA - 2019.1718
  • Item
  • 1960s

Emmie Papworth was one of the post ladies in Bampton for many years while her brother George owned and ran the papershop opposite the Wheat Sheaf Inn in Bridge Street. In this picture she is outside a house in Bridge Street.Other posties in Bampt...

Bampton Community Archive

Bridge Street first half of C20th

  • BCA - 2017.1205
  • Item
  • early twentieth century

This picture postcard shows Bridge Street from opposite Sherbourne Villas looking east. The nearer pub is the Wheat Sheaf which became the Post Office in 1972. The thatched pub is the Elephant & Castle. The barn on the angle of the turn int...

Bampton Community Archive

Roy Shergold & Terry Rouse August 31st 2009

  • BCA - 2017.949
  • Item
  • August 31st 2009

After enjoying the afternoon at the Donkey Derby in Sandfords Field, Roy Shergold and Terry Rouse enjoyed a good natter while sitting on the bridges and watching the world go by while having a good laugh.

Bampton Community Archive

Newspaper cutting showing Arthur Hill's antique shop July 8th 1960

  • BCA - 2017.734
  • Item
  • July 8th 1960

Arthur Hill took over the running of the family antique shop from his parents. Over the years it became much more a bric-a-brac shop and requests for anything seen in the window which was not easy to get at was met with 'My executors will ge...

Bampton Community Archive

Old newspaper pictures of The Talbot and The Elephant & Castle

  • BCA - 2017.419
  • Item
  • unknown

This newspaper cutting was found in a book in a second hand book shop. There is nothing to suggest the date but a fire destroyed the thatch on the Elephant & Castle about 1956 so it is earlier than that. It was given a slate roof when it was...

Bampton Community Archive

Castle View farmhouse

  • BCA - 2017.243
  • Item
  • c1880

This black and white photograph of Castle View farmhouse was taken about 1880. The lady standing in the garden may be Mary Plaster. The main gateway entrance has been bricked up now and moved farther to the right. The step to the little side ga...

Bampton Community Archive

A letter marking the closure of Emmies, our Papershop

  • BCA - 2017.247
  • Item
  • May 26th 2012

In May 2012 our papershop known as Emmies, run by Tom and Silvia Papworth closed for the last time. The letter gives a history of the shop, the people who ran it. It documents not only the passing of the papershop but records the very active par...

Bampton Community Archive