- BCA - 2023.4768
Mrs Lucy Martin in 1960 in the Roman Catholic chapel which was upstairs in the Eagle, Church View. The Eagle was built and owned in 1828 by the stonemason William Stone who called it the Masons Arms. He and his wife ran it from 1850 to 1860. By the late 19th century it was called The Eagle and it became a private dwelling in 1991. The Roman Catholics used the upstairs as their church. Lucy Martin was the wife of the licensee. Roman Catholic children who attended the National School next door used to have their assembly upstairs in this chapel. Downstairs, there was a little tuckshop and window out of which they served the children. The upstairs ceased to be the RC chapel when Mr and Mrs Martin left and after that, the Roman Catholics said Mass upstairs in the Town Hall for a few years before changing to use the room now used as the library in the Old Grammar school. This was not a nice place for a service because the room was for hire and there could have been a party with beer and lots of cigarette smoke the night before making it decidedly smelly. In 1976 the wishes of the Anglican and RC church goers came to pass and since then Roman Catholics have used St Mary's for Mass at 9am on Sundays and come out just in time for the bellringers and choir members to go in to ring / have a practice before the Anglican service.