The map was produced in 1921. The first map is has been reused to show where council houses were to be built on the south side of New Road and where the sewerage pipes were to be laid to the sewerage works along the Buckland Road.
Mains sewerage came to Bampton in 1958 after a long struggle and at a cost of £105,000. Miss Marjorie Pollard was the driving force but in the end, it was the death of Horace Morse who emptied the 'night soil' buckets twice a week which made it imperative. Jack Bellinger was the first manager of the sewerage works.
These four maps were all produce in 1971 and cover
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 Weald, Hayway Lane, Weald St, Clanfield Road Ordinance Survey Plan SP3003-3103. Bridge St east to end of houses, north to new school, Colvile Close Ordinance Survey Plan SP3203-3303. 1971 Mt Owen Rd east inc. Gogg Lane, Aston Rod to Aston Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 1971. Cowleaze Corner, Weald to Aston, north to Horse Shoe PH
Fields, property and farms are all clearly marked.
Huge thanks to Janet Westman for allowing us to put her maps on this website for all to see for free when they are still available for sale, either as black and white or hand coloured by Janet. The Witney map you can see her in black and white and coloured.
The maps are of Brize Norton Cassington Eynsham Gloucestershire Oxfordshire Witney
This picture shows the spire of St Mary The Virgin Church in Bampton seen across Sandford field. It was taken early in the twentieth century. Today, a hedge obscures the view of the houses in the foreground but not all still exist.