Showing 30 results

Archival description
Architecture, Housing and Buildings With digital objects
Print preview View:

1 and 2 Mill Green before their extension

  • BCA - 2021.2565
  • Item
  • 1981 (Creation)

These little cottages have been extended over the years but seen here, Nos 1 and 2 Mill Green are in their original petite state. A snowy time after Christmas 1981

Bampton Community Archive

70 new homes to be built between New Road and Coalpit Lane

  • BCA - 2021.2545
  • Item
  • November 25th 1983

In 1983 the Lowlands Area Planning Sub committee gave permission for 70 more homes to be built between New Road and Coalpit Lane. The said no more than 20 per year on the 8 acre site but in the event, there were more than this annually.

Bampton Community Archive

A view of St Mary's across Sandford Field

  • BCA - 2020.2444
  • Item
  • early twentieth century

This picture shows the spire of St Mary The Virgin Church in Bampton seen across Sandford field. It was taken early in the twentieth century. Today, a hedge obscures the view of the houses in the foreground but not all still exist.

Bampton Community Archive

Bampton maps of 1921

  • BCA - 2020.2397
  • Item
  • 1921

The map was produced in 1921. The first map is has been reused to show where council houses were to be built on the south side of New Road and where the sewerage pipes were to be laid to the sewerage works along the Buckland Road.

Mains sewerage came to Bampton in 1958 after a long struggle and at a cost of £105,000. Miss Marjorie Pollard was the driving force but in the end, it was the death of Horace Morse who emptied the 'night soil' buckets twice a week which made it imperative. Jack Bellinger was the first manager of the sewerage works.

Bampton Community Archive

Bell Cottage briefly visible from the Market Square

  • BCA - 2020.2449
  • Item
  • 1998

This picture is of Bell Cottage which was visible briefly across the Market Square after Market Square Garage was completely removed and before Thornberry Flats were built on the site. The people living in the cottage at the time couldn't wait for the flats to go up to regain their privacy.
The little lane, known by long-time locals as 'Back of The Bell' got its name from the Bell Inn which used to be where the Village Hall stands today. The Inn was bought by three ladies in 1923 for conversion into the WI Hall. In the 1980s the WI could no longer afford the upkeep of the building and it became the Village Hall ... next to the Town Hall.

Bampton Community Archive

Dr Alan Gaydon's photographs of St Mary's

  • BCA - 2017.1080
  • Item
  • 1990

Dr Alan Gaydon was a churchwarden at St Mary's for several years. He photographed the church from inside to out, ground level to the roof and recorded the restoration of the top of the spire and re-guilding of the cockerel on the top.

Bampton Community Archive

Fleur de Lys hair salon 1970s

  • BCA - 2021.2551
  • Item
  • 1970s

In the 1970s Fleur de Lys was a hair salon owned by Margaret Roberts. It is in Bushey Row. There were several owners after Margaret and it was later a video rental shop, a shop selling twee things for gardeners and a Physiotherapy Centre. Now it sells pottery (2021)

Bampton Community Archive

Four OS maps of Bampton 1971

  • BCA - 2020.2401
  • Item
  • 1971

These four maps were all produce in 1971 and cover

Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 Weald, Hayway Lane, Weald St, Clanfield Road
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3003-3103. Bridge St east to end of houses, north to new school, Colvile Close
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3203-3303. 1971 Mt Owen Rd east inc. Gogg Lane, Aston Rod to Aston
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 1971. Cowleaze Corner, Weald to Aston, north to Horse Shoe PH

Fields, property and farms are all clearly marked.

Bampton Community Archive

Results 1 to 10 of 30