Showing 198 results

Archival description
Agriculture and Farming
Print preview View:

196 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Sweet Briar Cottage (when thatched)

  • BCA - 2021.3182
  • Item
  • 2021

Sweet Briar Cottage, when thatched, once called The Patch, and the home of agricultural workers from Castle View Farm.

Nik Stanbridge

Sweet Briar Cottage when it was thatched

  • BCA - 2019.2166
  • Item
  • first half C20th

This charming little cottage used to be called Pedlar's Patch and today is called Sweet Briar. The gate is next to Emmies on Bridge Street and the house is set back from the road, behind other cottages.

Bampton Community Archive

Shadrack 'Shepherd' Hayden 1829-1916

  • BCA - 2022.3722
  • Item
  • 1829 1916

Shadrack Hayden, known as Shadrack 'Shepherd' Hayden was a wonderful singer of folk music at a time when there were still many people who could not read and write and social history was past on very much in folks songs. His life was one of a shepherd and family man and makes for very interesting reading. In the photograph he is seen with one of his grandchildren.
You can hear the wonderful songs Shadrack sang on YouTube

https://youtu.be/Jfeu9JqA5Pg

Janet Rouse

Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Map Mt Owen Rd, west towards Lew

  • BCA - 2022.3832
  • Series
  • 1899

Third of 3 Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps Showing Mount Owen Road towards Lew. There are some pencil notes and some fields are coloured yellow.
The following places are shown
Lew Lodge
Coalpit Farm
Mount Owen Farm
Ditcham Wood
Rushey Butts

Janet Westman

Second Edition 1899. Ordnance Survey Map Central Bampton east towards Aston

  • BCA - 2022.3831
  • Series
  • 1899

First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost.
Names of people owning fields

Mr. Wilkins
JG Andrews Trustees
FF Southby
Stevens of Calais Farm
WW Shepherd
Mr Rose
Mr Carter
Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400
Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700
L Dafter
Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275

Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows:
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Calais Farm
Cheapside
Church Street
Fishers Bridge
Manor Cottage
Manor House
New Inn Lane
Primrose Cottages
Swan Inn
The Grange

Janet Westman

Results 21 to 30 of 198