Shirley Boyce was an Evacuee to Bampton during World War II and has written an interesting account of her time in Bampton staying at a Manor House (Weald Manor?). Which had been divided into flats. She later stayed in Aston. The photo is of evacuated children from Bow, London playing in the grounds of Weald Manor in 1940. Two boys Kenny Howe and Leslie Tucker were billeted in New Road with Mr and Mrs Whighting?
This shop was originally the premises of Mr Money, Boot and Shoemaker in the High Street. After Mr. Money's retirement, Mrs Francis Henley rented the shop for her daughter , Hazel, to run as a boutique. It was later rented by Mona Wilkins whose daughter also ran it as a boutique. It was finally run by Julia Rouse, daughter of Don and Mary, as The Farmhouse Pantry .
On her 103rd Birthday, 26th Feb 2025, Joyce Anderson donated this small red book to the Bampton Community Archive. The book is entitled "Oxfordshire" written by F.G. Brabant, M.A. Illustrated by Edmund H. New. First published May 1906. This is the third edition – published 1919. These pdfs are excerpts about Bampton in the book, and the book itself is available in our locked cupboard at the Archive should anyone want to view for reference.