Army, Navy and Air Force

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Army, Navy and Air Force

Equivalent terms

Army, Navy and Air Force

Associated terms

Army, Navy and Air Force

6 Archival description results for Army, Navy and Air Force

6 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Canteen at RAF Bampton Castle 1971

  • BCA - 2019.2198
  • Item
  • 1971

This picture was taken in 1971 and shows the canteen at RAF Bampton Castle in Weald just before the kitchen closed for the first time. Helping himself to lunch is Cyril Cawser, father of Myra and Caroline. He was a civilian working there in the Met Office department.

Bampton Community Archive

Annual inspection of RAF Bampton Castle in Weald

  • BCA - 2019.2167
  • Item
  • April 1993

RAF Signals station at Weald.
The air officer supporting Air Command carrying out the annual inspection in April 1993.
The RAF took over use of the site in September 1969 from the Royal Corps of Signals which had been stationed there since it opened in 1943.

Bampton Community Archive

Peter Davis and his exhibition in the Old Grammar School about Witney Airfield 2015

  • BCA - 2019.1942
  • Item
  • summer 2015

Witney Gazette June 24th 2015.

Peter Davis from Church Street put on a detailed and very interesting exhibition for the Bampton Community Archive in the Old Grammar School, Church Close about the Witney Airfield. The only suggestion of an airfield in the area now is in the names of three local roads, De Havilland Way, Range Road and Richard Jones Road.

Damaged Spitfires and Hurricanes aircraft damaged during WWII were serviced here. The airfield was important in both WWI and WWII. It opened in 1918 and closed in 1951.

The site was used as an RAF training unit, a base for tennis, horse racing and motorcycle speedway as well as for Witney and Oxford Aero Club and Witney Aeronautical College.

The catalogue of this exhibition, full of really interesting photos of the airfield is still on sale in the Vesey room.

Bampton Community Archive

Sign outside the Signal Camp in Weald

  • BCA - 2019.2200
  • Item
  • 1950s

This sign used to be outside the Royal Corps of Signals in Weald and was rescued when the RAF took over the site in September 1969. It is now in the museum of the Royal Signals and has been there since 2007.

Bampton Community Archive