This map is from 1913 and covers the area from Marsh Lane on the eastern edge of Clanfield west across Weald. However, all of Bridge Street, half the Talbot Inn, the west side of the Market Square, the South side of Church Street and Church View are all in Weald and they are not shown here, possibly because the map was for agricultural purposes. There are some very interesting notes added in pencil.
This Ordinance Survey map was produced in 1974 and covers the area from Hobbs buildings/Deanery Farm in the north, due east to Coal Pit Farm, south to Bampton centre, on south to Weald, east to Aston and south to the Radcot Cut and Great Brook and the Thames.
These three maps are all labelled as 2nd edition 1899. They cover the area Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Black Bourton south to Cowleaze Corner, east to Elephant & Castle in Bridge Street and Mt Owen Rd, west to road going up to Lew now called Station Road. They not only show the buildings but someone has written on in pencil when certain plots were sold and to whom. Interesting to see the clear fish-farming area with the Deanery then called Deanery Farm, Cobb House simply called Vicarage, Churchgate House called Trinity Vicarage. The third vicarage is today called Kilmore House and is almost opposite the East window of St. Mary's. What today is called Bridge Street was then called Mill Street and the mill was just to the left of path to Sandford Field from Bridge St. The legend is the mill wheel was buried in the plot to the left of the brook walking to the field from Bridge St and the tree there today was planted at its centre.
This picture shows the spire of St Mary The Virgin Church in Bampton seen across Sandford field. It was taken early in the twentieth century. Today, a hedge obscures the view of the houses in the foreground but not all still exist.
The Bampton Traditional Morris Men, squire Francis Shergold, danced in Wadebridge on August Bank Holiday. Some of the people in the photographs include Reg Hall musician, Martin Ferguson, Ivy Poole, 'big' Eric Stott, Colin Bathe, Trig Morris Men, Rod Stradling, Francis Shergold, Jamie Wheeler, Jim Buckingham, Dave Rose, Ted Poole, Roy Shergold.
The map was produced in 1921. The first map is has been reused to show where council houses were to be built on the south side of New Road and where the sewerage pipes were to be laid to the sewerage works along the Buckland Road.
Mains sewerage came to Bampton in 1958 after a long struggle and at a cost of £105,000. Miss Marjorie Pollard was the driving force but in the end, it was the death of Horace Morse who emptied the 'night soil' buckets twice a week which made it imperative. Jack Bellinger was the first manager of the sewerage works.
A few photographs taken of the Bampton Traditional Morris Men dancing on Spring Bank Holiday in 2003. Musician Reg Hall Dancers Jonny Shuker, Toby Perry, Cyril Smith, Billy Main and Martin Landray. Ray Borrett the fool dancing the fool's jig.
These two pictures were taken at the end of the party of the Bampton Traditional Morris Men when the dancers did a couple of Morris dances. Some in the photos include Billy Main, Jasper Walsh, Toby Perry, Andrew Lloyd, Tony Daniels, John Shuker and Reg Hall.
This article is about the AGM of the Bampton with Clanfield and Aston, Lew and Shifford church AGM. The vicar was Rev. Andrew Scott and this was his first year here. Alan Keef was elected secretary. Hilda Pickard was electoral roll keeper, Tim Bryce was treasurer and reported a 40% increase in parish share. A report of the diocesan synod was given by Ruby Riches and of the Mothers' Union by Mrs Betty Cooper. Churchwardens elected were Aston - Mr P Hook and Mr A Keef Bampton - Mrs Hilda Pickard and Mr Norman Gregory Clanfield - Mr P Horne and Mr Fred Farmer Lew - Mr Charles Radclyffe and Mrs Olive Gush Shifford - Mrs Betty Cooper and Mr Tim Bryce.