Showing 27 results

Archival description
Maps
Print preview View:

25 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Ordnance Survey Map dated 1922 Grafton to Chimney including villages

  • BCA - 2022.3830
  • Item
  • 1922

Ordnance Survey Map Dated 1922. showing villages from Grafton Clanfield, Alvescot, Bampton south to Thames, Aston, Chimney
There are pencil notes on the map difficult to read'
The places printed on map are as follows
Bampton
Baptist Chapel
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Broad Street
Broad Street
Calais Farm
Castle remains
Cheapside
Church Lane
Churchgate House
Coalpit Farm
Deanery Farm
Elephant and Castle
Fishers Bridge
Gas Works
Ham Court
Highmoor Brook
Lady Well
Manor Cottage
Manor House
Mill Barn
Mill Bridge
Mount Owen Farm
New Inn Lane
Old Gravel Pit
Plantation
Primrose Cottages
Sandford Villa
Swan Inn
The Grange
Vicarage
Water Tower
Weald Manor House
Windmill House
Wrights hill
Lower Haddon Farm
Ven Bridge
Elmwood House

Alvescot
Alvescot House
Alvescot Lodge
Alvescot Mill
Alvescot Station
Bates Land Farm
Buxhill Farm
Manor Farm Alvescot
Milestone Road
Old Chapel Pit
Plough Inn
Rectory Farm
Red Lion PH
Royal George PH
Shield Farm
Smithy
St Peters Church
The Rectory
Vine Cottage

Clanfield
Little Clanfield
Grafton Green Farm
Little Clanfield Mill
Manor Farm

Radcot
Radcot New Buildings
Langley Lane
Langford Brook
Ashton Pill Bridge
Swan Inn
Cradle Bridge (Foot)
Radcot Bridge
River Thames
Entrenchment The Garrison
Towing Path
Radcot Lock
Sharney Brook
Burroway Brook
Burroway Bridge
Sharney Bridge
River Thames or Isis
Old Mans Bridge

Clanfield
Manor Farm
Broadwell Brook
Chestlion Farm
Clanfield Weir Farm
Engineering Work
Friar's Court Monastry
Pound Lane
St Stephens
Windmill Farm

Black Bourton
East Gloucestershire Branch Railway
Garsons Copse
High House
Manor Farm
Moat House
St Marys Church
Vicarage
Corn Mill
Lower Farm

Buckland Road
Boat House
Buckland Marsh
Great Brook
Isle of Wight Bridge
Meadow Farm
Tadpole Bridge
Tenfoot Bridge

Aston, Cote and Chimney
Aston House
Bull Inn
Bull Street
Cote House
Cote Lodge
Duckend Farm
Girls Training Home
Ham Lane
Kingsway Farm
North Street
Old Clay Pit
St James Church

Yelford
Claywell Farm
Elmbank
Manor Farm
Newhouse Farm
Rickless Hill
St Swithins Church
Yelford Manor
Ditcham Wood
Rushey Butts
Lew Lodge

Janet Westman

Bampton maps of 1921

  • BCA - 2020.2397
  • Item
  • 1921

The map was produced in 1921. The first map is has been reused to show where council houses were to be built on the south side of New Road and where the sewerage pipes were to be laid to the sewerage works along the Buckland Road.

Mains sewerage came to Bampton in 1958 after a long struggle and at a cost of £105,000. Miss Marjorie Pollard was the driving force but in the end, it was the death of Horace Morse who emptied the 'night soil' buckets twice a week which made it imperative. Jack Bellinger was the first manager of the sewerage works.

Bampton Community Archive

Maps of East Half of Bampton 1921

  • BCA - 2022.3814
  • Item
  • 1921

3 Large ordnance Survey Maps used by Hadgood and Mammatt Auctioneers and Estate Agents from Witney. Published in 1921 price £5/- and £6/8d. Points of interest are Highmoor Brook, Plantation, Ham Court, Deanery Farm, Churchgate, Vicarage, Manor House, and Weald Manor House, old gravel pit and Beam Cottage, Calais Farm, Primrose Cottages, Fisher's Bridge

Janet Westman

Map of Weald from Plantation south to Cowleaze Corner, east to the Elephant & Castle

  • BCA - 2020.2398
  • Item
  • 1921

This map of 1921 covers the area from Plantation south to Cowleaze Corner and east as far as the Elephant and Castle.

What was a watercourse off the Highmoor Brook to land with The Deanery can be clearly seen and was used for fish farming.

Cobb House is the only vicarage by now, the other two houses of the three-portion being in private hands, one Churchgate house the other now called Kilmore House.

Glebelands houses were not yet built, they didn't come until the 1960s.

The lake with Weald Manor House to its left used to freeze over and the owners of the Manor House used to invite locals to skate on it. Mr & Mrs Colvile lent the field to the west of the lake to the local football club but as it wasn't large enough for the side to play in a certain league, they had to find a new home and for a while used a field at the east end of New Road.

Bampton Community Archive

Lew School and Post Office & Post Office Farm on a 1914 map

  • BCA - 2020.2403
  • Item
  • 1914

These are two parts of one map created in 1914. I've picked them out to show where the school used to be in Lew, next to University Farm and the Post Office a little to the east just before you get to Trinity Church.

Bampton Community Archive

The Lew Estate 1914

  • BCA - 2020.2396
  • Item
  • 1914

This map was produce for the sale of the Lew Estate in 1914.
There used to be a Post Office and a school in Lew, both shown on this map between University Farm and Holy Trinity Church on the main road.

Bampton Community Archive

Map 1913 Edition Marsh Lane East incl Weald and Clanfield Road

  • BCA - 2022.3812
  • Item
  • 1913

Ordnance Survey Map showing Area from Marsh Lane, Weald and Clanfield Road,
used by Habgood and Mammatt Chartered Auctioneers and Estate Agents of Witney
Some Pencil markings showing land belonging to Parker, Abingdon Poor, Litchfield, Buckingham, Townsend, and "Little Weald" Auction 15/6/62.
Printed and published by Ordnance Survey Office Southampton 1913 Price 3/-

Janet Westman

1913 map of Weald, west to Marsh Lane on east edge of Clanfield

  • BCA - 2020.2394
  • Item
  • 1913

This map is from 1913 and covers the area from Marsh Lane on the eastern edge of Clanfield west across Weald. However, all of Bridge Street, half the Talbot Inn, the west side of the Market Square, the South side of Church Street and Church View are all in Weald and they are not shown here, possibly because the map was for agricultural purposes. There are some very interesting notes added in pencil.

Bampton Community Archive

2nd edition maps of 1899 Bampton, Black Bourton, Mt Owen Road

  • BCA - 2020.2393
  • Item
  • 1899

These three maps are all labelled as 2nd edition 1899. They cover the area Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Black Bourton south to Cowleaze Corner, east to Elephant & Castle in Bridge Street and Mt Owen Rd, west to road going up to Lew now called Station Road.
They not only show the buildings but someone has written on in pencil when certain plots were sold and to whom.
Interesting to see the clear fish-farming area with the Deanery then called Deanery Farm, Cobb House simply called Vicarage, Churchgate House called Trinity Vicarage. The third vicarage is today called Kilmore House and is almost opposite the East window of St. Mary's.
What today is called Bridge Street was then called Mill Street and the mill was just to the left of path to Sandford Field from Bridge St. The legend is the mill wheel was buried in the plot to the left of the brook walking to the field from Bridge St and the tree there today was planted at its centre.

Bampton Community Archive

Second Edition 1899. Ordnance Survey Map Central Bampton east towards Aston

  • BCA - 2022.3831
  • Series
  • 1899

First of three Second Edition 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps showing Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Someone has annotated the map with pencil showing who owns various fields, and when bought and the cost.
Names of people owning fields

Mr. Wilkins
JG Andrews Trustees
FF Southby
Stevens of Calais Farm
WW Shepherd
Mr Rose
Mr Carter
Sold 18th May 1950 L H Saunders for £400
Sold 18th May 1950 Mr Read for £700
L Dafter
Sold 18th May 1950 to F A Gerring for £2275

Places shown on Map in 1899 as follows:
Beam Cottage
Bridge Street
Calais Farm
Cheapside
Church Street
Fishers Bridge
Manor Cottage
Manor House
New Inn Lane
Primrose Cottages
Swan Inn
The Grange

Janet Westman

Results 11 to 20 of 27