In October 2012 the Bampton Environmental Watch Group had a wonderful talk given by John Leighfield on the history of maps and in particular maps of Oxfordshire and Bampton. It was very interesting to note that the first maps of Bampton showed the rivers and streams but no roads, showing the importance of waterways. It really is worth looking at the maps of Bampton carefully, you'll see just how old some buildings are, where the mill was in Bampton and Kerwoods Yard which was one area for the very poor with dwellings that had no land with them, they afforded the occupier a roof as opposed to 'the park bench' but no land on which to produce any food. It's referred to in early census forms and people come to Bampton asking where it is - it's on page 15 of this pdf
The map is pre Inclosure and covers Clanfield, Bampton, Aston and Yelford. The note with the Yelford map says it was from a map of 1624/5. A note at the right side of the page suggests all these details were pulled together from various sources in 1833 which is post Inclosure, which for the Bampton area was 1821. I can't work out what maps were used for the non-Yelford map but it says HHH is Aston 1771.
This map shows the Bampton Estates at 1789. This is before the fields were enclosed and the names of the people who farmed the strips or the name of the field area are on the map. The Quies fields are each side of the Bampton to Brize Norton road, just north of what is now Hobbs Buildings. The Clanfield to Bampton road is showing top to bottom on the map whereas it really runs east west, so you need to get your head around that, literally. What we now call Welcome Way is called Wiltham Way - it runs south from Cowleaze Corner into Weald. Weald Common Meadow was south of what we now think of as the area containing the two Bampton Business Parks. The Bampton to Buckland road is showing going left to right on the map when it actually runs NW to SE; it had a turnpike.
These four maps were all produce in 1971 and cover
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 Weald, Hayway Lane, Weald St, Clanfield Road Ordinance Survey Plan SP3003-3103. Bridge St east to end of houses, north to new school, Colvile Close Ordinance Survey Plan SP3203-3303. 1971 Mt Owen Rd east inc. Gogg Lane, Aston Rod to Aston Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 1971. Cowleaze Corner, Weald to Aston, north to Horse Shoe PH
Fields, property and farms are all clearly marked.
The map was produced in 1921. The first map is has been reused to show where council houses were to be built on the south side of New Road and where the sewerage pipes were to be laid to the sewerage works along the Buckland Road.
Mains sewerage came to Bampton in 1958 after a long struggle and at a cost of £105,000. Miss Marjorie Pollard was the driving force but in the end, it was the death of Horace Morse who emptied the 'night soil' buckets twice a week which made it imperative. Jack Bellinger was the first manager of the sewerage works.
These three maps are all labelled as 2nd edition 1899. They cover the area Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Black Bourton south to Cowleaze Corner, east to Elephant & Castle in Bridge Street and Mt Owen Rd, west to road going up to Lew now called Station Road. They not only show the buildings but someone has written on in pencil when certain plots were sold and to whom. Interesting to see the clear fish-farming area with the Deanery then called Deanery Farm, Cobb House simply called Vicarage, Churchgate House called Trinity Vicarage. The third vicarage is today called Kilmore House and is almost opposite the East window of St. Mary's. What today is called Bridge Street was then called Mill Street and the mill was just to the left of path to Sandford Field from Bridge St. The legend is the mill wheel was buried in the plot to the left of the brook walking to the field from Bridge St and the tree there today was planted at its centre.