Showing 27 results

Archival description
Maps
Print preview View:

25 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

1797 Map showing Bampton Hundred

  • BCA - 2022.3819
  • Item
  • 1797

Map showing Oxfordshire area from Westwell to Curbridge and Kelmscot to Coat (Cote) Common, Bampton Hundred,
plus segment showing St Giles, Oxford.
Published by R. Davis Lewknor August 1797 and indicating:
Alvescot, Asthrop Farm, Aston, Bampton and Aston Fields, Bampton in the Bush, Barley Park, Black Bourton, Brize Norton, Broadwell Grove, Broughton, Burwell Farm, Caswell, Clanfield, Clarks Wier, Claywell, Coat, Curbridge, David Wier, Ducklington, Ducklington, Eaton Hastings, Eaton Hastings, Friars Court, Grafton, Great Lemhill, Harts Wier, Holwell, Kelmscot, Kencote, Langfiord, Lew Barrow, Lew Barrow, Little Clanfield, March Haddon, Nans Wier, Nethber Filkins, New Mill, Ouseham Mill, Over Filkins, Oxley, Radcot, Rushey , Shill Farm, Shilton, Signet, Starvehall Farm, Sworn Leys, Tadpole and Bridge, Ten Foot Wier, Turnpike, Westwell, Witney Park, ,

Janet Westman

1913 map of Weald, west to Marsh Lane on east edge of Clanfield

  • BCA - 2020.2394
  • Item
  • 1913

This map is from 1913 and covers the area from Marsh Lane on the eastern edge of Clanfield west across Weald. However, all of Bridge Street, half the Talbot Inn, the west side of the Market Square, the South side of Church Street and Church View are all in Weald and they are not shown here, possibly because the map was for agricultural purposes. There are some very interesting notes added in pencil.

Bampton Community Archive

1974 OS map of Bampton and Aston

  • BCA - 2020.2402
  • Item
  • 1974

This Ordinance Survey map was produced in 1974 and covers the area from Hobbs buildings/Deanery Farm in the north, due east to Coal Pit Farm, south to Bampton centre, on south to Weald, east to Aston and south to the Radcot Cut and Great Brook and the Thames.

Bampton Community Archive

2nd edition maps of 1899 Bampton, Black Bourton, Mt Owen Road

  • BCA - 2020.2393
  • Item
  • 1899

These three maps are all labelled as 2nd edition 1899. They cover the area Central Bampton, north & south, east nearly to Aston, Black Bourton south to Cowleaze Corner, east to Elephant & Castle in Bridge Street and Mt Owen Rd, west to road going up to Lew now called Station Road.
They not only show the buildings but someone has written on in pencil when certain plots were sold and to whom.
Interesting to see the clear fish-farming area with the Deanery then called Deanery Farm, Cobb House simply called Vicarage, Churchgate House called Trinity Vicarage. The third vicarage is today called Kilmore House and is almost opposite the East window of St. Mary's.
What today is called Bridge Street was then called Mill Street and the mill was just to the left of path to Sandford Field from Bridge St. The legend is the mill wheel was buried in the plot to the left of the brook walking to the field from Bridge St and the tree there today was planted at its centre.

Bampton Community Archive

Bampton at Time of the Enclosure Act 1821

  • BCA - 2022.3816
  • Item
  • 1821

These maps are copied from the document housed at St. Luke's Museum, in East Oxford. The Maps show The fish ponds and water courses, the areas of land and boundaries allocated to the Landowners and names of the plots. There are fish ponds marked in grey behind the Grange, by The Deanery, Weald Manor and down Cheyne Lane
Landowners are named as follows
Lord Shrewsbury, Jesus College, Miss CA Horde, H. Willis, L&T Dewe, James Dewe, The Revd G Richards, The Honourable J Coventry, H. Williams Lefsee, Abingdon Poor, Jos Andrews, Catherine Upjohn, Allotment for Tithes, The Dean and Chapter of Exeter, The Rev J Francis, Rev H Owen, W.J. Walker, Bernard Green, E. Whitaker, Josiah Andrews, G. Shingleton, Catherine Upjohn, Jos Barratt Esq, John Roberts , The Rev T Burrow, Swinbrook Charity, The Rev J Francis, John Kenn,
Names of Plots
Werge Furlong, Youngs Close, Pond Close, Cock, Hen and Chick Furlong, Burnthouse Closes, Bedsons Close, Lains Close, Wrights Hill Furlong, The Poor House, Pettifers Close, Kirks Close, Gravel Pits, The Bowling Green, Forty Acres, Grove Orchard, Dr Andrews, Forty Acres Furlong, Hawkins Piece, Lamperts Seven Acres, The Mews, Swinbrook Close, Home Orchard, Lower Orchard, Lissets Close, Fishers Bridge Close, Coppity Ground, Hows's Closes, Grove Orchard, Kirks Close, Clay Close, Little Clay, Landalls Mead, Calved Close, Dickinson Mead, Coneygra, Headland, Ten Acres F, Horse Close, The Knowl, Eight Acres, Barley ground, Eight Acre F, Gullivers Pieces, Rushey Close, Stray Close, Ham Court Orchard, Sandfords, Great Bourn, Watts Close, Bull Green, Furlong Shooting on Clanfield Footpath, Coxeters Furlong, Coxeter Piece, Varnells Furlong, Rake Ready Lane, Home Close, Spring Close, Bull Furlong, Thoroughout Furlong, Clay Furlong, Wright Hill Furlong, Home Orchard,

Janet Westman

Bampton maps of 1921

  • BCA - 2020.2397
  • Item
  • 1921

The map was produced in 1921. The first map is has been reused to show where council houses were to be built on the south side of New Road and where the sewerage pipes were to be laid to the sewerage works along the Buckland Road.

Mains sewerage came to Bampton in 1958 after a long struggle and at a cost of £105,000. Miss Marjorie Pollard was the driving force but in the end, it was the death of Horace Morse who emptied the 'night soil' buckets twice a week which made it imperative. Jack Bellinger was the first manager of the sewerage works.

Bampton Community Archive

Five Residential and Agricultural Plots for Sale 1962

  • BCA - 2022.3815
  • Item
  • 1962

Plan of south Bampton showing 5 lots for sale. issued by Moore Allen and Innocent on June 14th 1962.
Lot 2 is where Ampney Orchard is now.
Also shown Isle of Wight Bridge, Tadpole, The Trout, Great Book, River Thames, Cote House. Chimney, Meadow Farm, Meadow Arch Bridge, Old gravel pit, Calais Farm,

Janet Westman

Four OS maps of Bampton 1971

  • BCA - 2020.2401
  • Item
  • 1971

These four maps were all produce in 1971 and cover

Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 Weald, Hayway Lane, Weald St, Clanfield Road
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3003-3103. Bridge St east to end of houses, north to new school, Colvile Close
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3203-3303. 1971 Mt Owen Rd east inc. Gogg Lane, Aston Rod to Aston
Ordinance Survey Plan SP3002-3102 1971. Cowleaze Corner, Weald to Aston, north to Horse Shoe PH

Fields, property and farms are all clearly marked.

Bampton Community Archive

Lew School and Post Office & Post Office Farm on a 1914 map

  • BCA - 2020.2403
  • Item
  • 1914

These are two parts of one map created in 1914. I've picked them out to show where the school used to be in Lew, next to University Farm and the Post Office a little to the east just before you get to Trinity Church.

Bampton Community Archive

Map 1913 Edition Marsh Lane East incl Weald and Clanfield Road

  • BCA - 2022.3812
  • Item
  • 1913

Ordnance Survey Map showing Area from Marsh Lane, Weald and Clanfield Road,
used by Habgood and Mammatt Chartered Auctioneers and Estate Agents of Witney
Some Pencil markings showing land belonging to Parker, Abingdon Poor, Litchfield, Buckingham, Townsend, and "Little Weald" Auction 15/6/62.
Printed and published by Ordnance Survey Office Southampton 1913 Price 3/-

Janet Westman

Results 1 to 10 of 27